Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A peek at your week

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

If we were to peek at your weekly planner (assuming you have one) what would we see? What subjects do you teach? What grade are your children in? How much time do you spend on each subject? Do you spend time on each subject every day?

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:51 PM

My daughter is in 8th grade, and my son is in 4th grade.

I teach Bible, Literature, Writing, Spelling, Arithmetic, Typing, Latin, Science and History/Geography (in other words, every subject...lol).  We do all subjects every day most days.

We begin the school day at 9 am (after chores, breakfast, and getting dressed/comb hair/brush teeth/etc.).  We are generally done around 2 pm.  Writing and Arithmetic are the most time-consuming subjects, usually 1+ hours.  Other subjects are usually 15 - 30+ minutes depending on the day.  I don't actually have a set time schedule, just a general routine.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

oredeb
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:13 PM

we dont do school during the summer but during the fall it would look like this

subjects i teach: english, math, and a unit study that includes all the other subjects

kids grades, im not sure about since we dont do grades, but ages are 9,10, 12,14,14

we start at 9 with some prayer, singing, talking about the word, verses

then at 9:15 we start with math, then 10:00 we do english, then around 1045 or so we start our unit study that usually goes till 12 or 1.

then on certain days the kids do music theory or practise down at the church depending on what they are working on.

thats everyday except friday when they do some jamming down at the church.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM

A typical week for us is:

Monday: 10-12pm was Science Fair class (an hour from home)

1-3pm was Earth science class (another half hour further from home)

3:10-4:15 is drums (close to Earth science)...then drive the hour and a half or so home...

and go straight to baseball that begins at 6:00 and goes til dark

TUES

9:00-10:00 Spanish (45 mins from home)

then home to do math, English, History, etc.

Baseball 6:00-dark

WED

Stay home and get all school done...

THURS...exactly like Tues

FRIDAY...exactly like Wednesday, only add baseball.

We drive a lot, we do a lot...and this doesn't include field trips, monthly teen gatherings, teen movie night, teen classic movie night, teen astronomy club or any basketball, which he also plays!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Our subjects will be

~Bible (although this will mostly be done through AWANA and reviewing that)
~Math
~Language Arts (which is mostly, I think, going to be reading and book reports)
~Spelling (I will pull the words from whatever chapter we are reading)
~Handwriting 
~Science (Gardening...HA! And maybe chickens)
~Social Studies (Still not sure what we will do, other than maybe just talking about current events.I'd really like to talk about American History...kinda do an intro to it)
~Art (Wyatt is going to scrapbook field trips, any major events)
~PE (Tae Kwon Do, possibly swimming lessons)
~Music I don't know yet what we will do. Piano lessons? Guitar lessons? He seems pretty interested in Guitar.

All in all, I expect schooling to take roughly 2 hours a day, not including extra cirricular stuff. But actual sit down academic time...2 hours at most. Obviously, book reports won't be every day, only after we finishthe book (And at a chapter-3 a week...) I think Math, Science, Handwriting, Reading and Spelling will be the only every day things. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM

NO schedule we go with the flow get what we can get done then write it all down afterwards.  Ours would be a mess because some days we school in the morning (if I'm off work) some days afternoon and sometimes even late evening.. it just depends on what's going on :)

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

School M-R Then Fri-Sat get in enough school to mark Friday as a day (4.5 hours here in GA)

Friday is Errand day. Grocery, walmart, thrift store, Library, where ever we need to go that week. It's also the night we eat out if eating out is in the budget that week. To save gas I also try to make that the day I take the kids out for a fun or educational outing (assuming it's something that can be done that day) Like the playground or a picnic or we may go out for breakfast or go to the nature center or whatever.

Other than that....I'm pretty much a fly by the seat of my pants gal.

If my mom has a Dr appt or needs to go to Athens-I  take her whatever day she needs to go.

I'm trying to get on more of a weekly schedule for my chores though.

Subjects-we do Reading, Langugae arts, Math, Science, Social Studies (those are our state required subjects) then we do Bible and life skills, arts/crafts and PE/Health.

I do not do every subject every day. We try to be done with 'schoolish' school by noon, but sometimes the kids want to do more. In the evenings we do read alouds, documentaries, educational DVDs, projects, etc.

My kids are prek and 2nd grade

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)