Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Once upon a time...

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
Once upon a time I was an accountant, graphic designer, and finally got my degree in early childhood.
I'm now a wahm to two gorgeous girls and wouldn't change a thing. It's actually funny because I now use ALL those skills between my kids/family and my business.

What did you (want to) do before you were "mom"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:40 PM

well when i graduated highschool i wanted to be a cop or something to do with foresty but got married when 18, and had 1st child 9 months later so i have been content with being a mom! (which i think includes every type of career there is)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:43 PM
That is so true. It really does have a little bit of everything on the career list.
I actually am very thankful for the different training I have had because it has really shaped what kind of decisions I have made as a mother and wife. It has definitely helped make this "one income" thing work, and I never would have breastfed, cloth diapered, or given natural (unmediated) child birth if I hadnt had such awesome professors. I never even thought about the option to breastfeed or not have an epidural, because neither had ever been done by anyone I knew. Kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 9:48 PM

yes i know what you mean, when i was younger there was no other way to do things! of course everyone breastfed, cloth for diapers, natural childbirth, wife stayed at home, etc,

i think ive had the best education i could get and ive not even been to college! just life!

Quoting Boobah:

That is so true. It really does have a little bit of everything on the career list.
I actually am very thankful for the different training I have had because it has really shaped what kind of decisions I have made as a mother and wife. It has definitely helped make this "one income" thing work, and I never would have breastfed, cloth diapered, or given natural (unmediated) child birth if I hadnt had such awesome professors. I never even thought about the option to breastfeed or not have an epidural, because neither had ever been done by anyone I knew. Kwim?

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I've always just wanted to be a mom. Before I had kids, I was a firefighter/paramedic. I LOVED it. Now, I work in a dr's office for the stable hours (5 more weeks!) Once I'm home, I will HS (duh) and open my Etsy shop

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:36 PM
I was a career woman all the way. I was the one who said I could never stay home with my kids all day!! I quit working about a year ago and pulled DD who is 7 out of public school 6 months ago and I love it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM

i had my son at 21, so didnt have much before mom..but..

• I was a sophamore in college. My dh just got his AAS degree. oh a timeline is easier..
  • childcare worker from age 18-20
  • afterschool teacher/coordinator 20-21
  • church nursery work 21-29years old
  • college student most of 21-26 BS:early childhood M.Ed. early childhood
  • assistant director of childcare 23-24; had DD
  • instructor for preschool teachers (state job)-full time
  • college instructor
  • then had DS #2, DH finished his degree and got a job so Jan 2010 I began my dream job of SAHM, this summer I start homeschooling!!

Every job, and college has helped prepare me for what I do. I feel like I was trained to homeschool and cant wait to start that job!

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM
That is EXACTLY how I feel! Like I have been training my entire life for what I do now. It is so awesome feeling like you are on the right path!

Quoting wright1212:

i had my son at 21, so didnt have much before mom..but..

• I was a sophamore in college. My dh just got his AAS degree. oh a timeline is easier..

• childcare worker from age 18-20

• afterschool teacher/coordinator 20-21

• church nursery work 21-29years old

• college student most of 21-26 BS:early childhood M.Ed. early childhood

• assistant director of childcare 23-24; had DD

• instructor for preschool teachers (state job)-full time

• college instructor

• then had DS #2, DH finished his degree and got a job so Jan 2010 I began my dream job of SAHM, this summer I start homeschooling!!

Every job, and college has helped prepare me for what I do. I feel like I was trained to homeschool and cant wait to start that job!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:17 AM

OMG growing up my career thoughts changed all the time.  I at one point wanted to be a vet but when I realized how much surgery would be involved I was totally turned off (I was young) and then I stuck with wanting to be a psychologist... and I wanted to study criminal minds...(yes the really sick people) always intrigued by peoples thinking. That just kind of faded away.  I have never been one that enjoyed school/book work after elementary age so I wasn't willing to do what it takes to get any kind of degree to be honest... to this day NO INTEREST!  Through everything, I always wanted to be a mom... I accomplished that one hahaha.. 4 boys.. and my own business... I think it all turned out pretty good!!!

*EDITED*  OH before kids.. I worked at a restaurant, WalMart and otherwise I've always worked for myself.

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM
I always wanted to be a mom also. :) I guess I always knew I'd be an entrepreneur. My parents both are and I always pretty much ran anything I worked at, so why not do it for myself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I was an office manager for an orthodontist for a few years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN