Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay, about math u see

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM
  • 11 Replies
You guys have me wanting to try it. But how does it teach all the other things,like weights, measurements, time, and things you don't use those blocks for?

Has anyone used other manipulatives with it? Like counting bears, scales, geoboards, etc? We have all these cool math manipulatives we won from mathtacular. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Honestly it uses the counters even for things like telling time... its very interesting.  And each set of blocks are different colors, my kids have them memorized, don't even have to think anymore.  I'm sure you could use some counters like that in the very beginning (PRIMER) but I think you really need their manipulatives.. I'll try to post some pics later today of some of the stuff....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM
I'd have their manipulatives too, I just wanted to use some of the fun ones we have as well. :) I'm super curious how they teach telling time! Any idea which level that is?

I should do an assessment and see which level she would be at. That is the hardest part for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I need to see what level Wyatt's at too. But I'm pretty sure we are going to go with MUS

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

scrapin_mom
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM
They do some time in primer and then again in alpha. I don't know if its in another levels or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReagansMom.Com
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:28 PM

CafeMom is great!  When baking cookies or cooking recipies, remember to include the little ones using both digital and analog clocks to "time" the baking/cooking.  PSAT is still using angles between the numbers on a pre-digital clock for questions!  Teach this early and it will be "there" forever ;o)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM

OK, maybe I need to contact the people at MUS about this, but here's what I'm wondering...

I see in one level it does more than one didgit addition/subtraction. That's what Wyatt needs definite review in. But he also does single didgit (dude, no matter how I spell diget...digit...didget...it doesn't look right) anyway, he does single number multiplication. I don't want to totally exclude that. THe curriculum doesn't look like it includes both. Any ideas?

I may need to just give up and move onto something different

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM

If I'm understanding your question it does do both... I will see it teaches things at a bit of a different level than I remember learning in school but MUCH BETTER.... Call them though to make sure you are getting your question answered correctly :)  They are great!!!  <hugs> and let us know!!!

by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:21 PM

digit

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Thanks :) I was seriously going bonkers. The more I tried, the worse it looked.

Anyway, I found a placement test yesterday. So that's on the list for today

Quoting 0123456:

digit

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Where did you find it? I was looking today but not thoroughly.

Quoting MedicMommy:

Thanks :) I was seriously going bonkers. The more I tried, the worse it looked.

Anyway, I found a placement test yesterday. So that's on the list for today

Quoting 0123456:

digit

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)