Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where are you?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM
  • 32 Replies
Where are you currently (state) and how "strict" are the homeschool laws there?

I'm in Ohio and although we do have to file and such, I think it seems pretty relaxed. I guess I will find out soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM

im in oregon, not sure if we have strict homeschool laws, ive never followed them, but i think you have to tell the school district your hsing and test every other year, or something like that!

SimplySonita
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM

I'm in GA and our laws aren't that strict, just a little silly, IMHO.

We have to do things that don't have to be turned into anyone?????WHA??????

And we have to file monthly attendance....That's the biggie.

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Washington state and not strict.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Texas. We have no homeschool laws. Do what you want, when you want.... It's the yin and yang. We have so much freedom...

and no rights to use our schools or resources for sports, etc. You can do what you want, but you are ON YOUR OWN...

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Michigan, not strict

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

SC. Not totally strict. There are 3 options for HS. I chose the option where you need to be part of an accountability group. It doesn't seem bad so far, but we shall see

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

4cutecrazies
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:35 PM
NC! Not to strict, I think, we are suppose to keep attendence records & whatnot for a year. This will be my first technical year so we shall see! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM

I am in Texas too! I am in West Texas & there is a great Homeschool sports co/op here that has football, track, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, swim team & much more. The only problem is it dose cost more to join than if your kid did sports in PS.

Quoting FlyHippie:

Texas. We have no homeschool laws. Do what you want, when you want.... It's the yin and yang. We have so much freedom...

and no rights to use our schools or resources for sports, etc. You can do what you want, but you are ON YOUR OWN...

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM

We are in Lake County (basically central Florida) The laws here are pretty relaxed, either go through an umbrella or private school and not deal with anyone at all (they will) or you have a certified teacher evaluate your child(ren) at the end of the school year and turn in a paper stating they have been promoted to the next grade level.    Pretty relaxed!!!!

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I am in Texas too! I am in West Texas & there is a great Homeschool sports co/op here that has football, track, baseball, softball, soccer, basketball, swim team & much more. The only problem is it dose cost more to join than if your kid did sports in PS.

Quoting FlyHippie:

Yeah...we have one here, too...but it's a "sign a statement of faith" thing, and I'm a. not going to. and b. not going to make my kid be "that" kid when we don't.

So football stopped after 6th grade...and he continues with competitive sports...that are more expensive than the homeschool ones...and THEY are more worried about the sport than my religion, so I'm all good with that! LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN