Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What about Saxon math?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM
  • 21 Replies
So everyone is raving about math u see, but I have Saxon math 1 purchased for fall. Has anyone used Saxon? What did you like or dislike? What grade did you use it for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Wyatt's teacher used it last year. I thought it was very repetitve. I've heard others say that it's dull and boring, and others still say they loved it.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Boring!  We used it for 6th grade.  Neither my daughter nor I liked it.  The speaker on the DIVE CD was dry and dull.  The pages were all black and white and thin.  Much too much review.  Problems were worked through in "weird" ways--different from the way I learned to work them which was easier than Saxon's way.  There was really nothing we liked about it.  We had only used ABeka previously and much preferred ABeka.  We're using Math-U-See this coming year.  

That being said, many people do love Saxon Math, and it reviews quite well.  That's why I tried it.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Danielle163
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I used Saxon for 2nd grade(the ps used it here so DD was use to it and we continued with it). Its spiral, keeps coming back to different topics. A lot of review, many problems on certain sheets, might stress some kids out--the sheets with TONS of problems. We are changing to Singapore for third as I think DD needs more of a challenge. But I'm also buying something on the computer--Either SOS or TT...but I don't know which.

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM

i love saxon!! ive not used the lower grades though k-3rd grade, Ive used 4th -trigonometry(sp) the whole time Ive been homeschooling and its taught me as its taught the kids!

for the lower grades i use rod and staff

i dont have any dislikes!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Aw, man! Rod and Staff...now Ihave a new one to investigate!

Quoting oredeb:

i love saxon!! ive not used the lower grades though k-3rd grade, Ive used 4th -trigonometry(sp) the whole time Ive been homeschooling and its taught me as its taught the kids!

for the lower grades i use rod and staff

i dont have any dislikes!

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!

estop
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 10:31 PM

My 15 yo son use Saxon He likes it alot My 10 yo didnot so we use Seton Math for him. I find each child is differ It depends on how the child learn. In my house my 10 yo catch on quick half the time he does not study. And my 15 yo has to go over and over plus he needs step by step. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM
Hmmmm, I'm thinking I need to really look at it today and maybe do some lessons with Julia to see how it goes before fall starts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I actually used Saxon when my mom was homeschooling me... I hated it honestly.  I'm sorry I don't have any good feedback :(

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I'm about at the pointthat I just want to create my own Math curriculum. Wyatt consistantly falls at the end of 2nd level/beginning of 3rd. I don't wnat to waste my money on 2nd level when he only needs half of it. 

banging head into wall

BusCaptainMama
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM
We tried it last year. My daughter who never seemed to 'get it' now loves math amd even seems to excel in pre algebra! I asked if she wanted it for algebra 1 and she said yes!!!! I don't know if it was saxon or not, but I'm sticking with it as long as she does well :) She does her math without being told and even on non school days!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)