Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

k12.com virtual public school, need input

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided to look into the k12 virtual school. I liked the content for first grade. But I really need some honest feedback to help me more. I want to hear pro's and cons. Here are some initial thoughts:

• Im a 1st time homeschooler and think it could be a good transistion
  • BUT I LOVE creating my own theamatic integrated units
  • it said dont miss during school days?? but 1st grade I just check in daily with progress, why cant we school on vacation as long as there is internet access? It also said 1year progress in 1 year time, so cant that be august through june, why stick to there schedule?
  • If she wants to move faster or already completely gets something can we skip ahead?
  • do we get to pick the extra subjects after core?

I know these are more for them to answer me, but at least I have them noted some place for when I call.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:43 AM
Replies (21-27):
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh btw...I subscribed to you on YouTube :-)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM
No,he didn't have my passwords. When he got a question wrong, it showed himthe correct answer, he wrote it down and retook the test to get As.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firehorse13
by Member on Dec. 18, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I've homeschooled my daughter (9 years old) from the very beginning.  After having my third and last child, I decided that I needed a bit of a break, but there was no way I was going to send her to public school.  We decided to try K12 through UTVA.  We only lasted about 2 months.  I can honestly say there are good and bad things about it.

Pro's:

Highly organized

Very user friendly website

Wonderful homeroom teacher

Decent selection of classes (especially electives)

Cons:

A little too structured for my taste

The school work wasn't nearly as in depth as I feel it should've been.

In our state, we are required to do 5.5 hours of school a day.  The amount of work she had only took 2 hours.

I was a bit fooled by the "flexibility".  I still had to be right there with her every step of the way, and I couldn't even control the curriculum.

The amount of testing is insane! There were quizzes and tests every single day.

As much as I disliked UTVA, there is another school in the state of Utah that offers K12, but they are unique .  They allow you to use their program as a full curriculum, or just the classes you want to take.  I'm seriously considering signing her up for Music, Art, and Latin through this other school next year, while still doing History, Social Studies, Geography, Math, Language Arts and Science with our own mix of curriculums.  K12 is definitely a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned, but it has a long way to go before I'd use it full time again.

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Quoting firehorse13:

I've homeschooled my daughter (9 years old) from the very beginning.  After having my third and last child, I decided that I needed a bit of a break, but there was no way I was going to send her to public school.  We decided to try K12 through UTVA.  We only lasted about 2 months.  I can honestly say there are good and bad things about it.

Pro's:

Highly organized

Very user friendly website

Wonderful homeroom teacher

Decent selection of classes (especially electives)

Cons:

A little too structured for my taste

The school work wasn't nearly as in depth as I feel it should've been.

In our state, we are required to do 5.5 hours of school a day.  The amount of work she had only took 2 hours.

I was a bit fooled by the "flexibility".  I still had to be right there with her every step of the way, and I couldn't even control the curriculum.

The amount of testing is insane! There were quizzes and tests every single day.

As much as I disliked UTVA, there is another school in the state of Utah that offers K12, but they are unique .  They allow you to use their program as a full curriculum, or just the classes you want to take.  I'm seriously considering signing her up for Music, Art, and Latin through this other school next year, while still doing History, Social Studies, Geography, Math, Language Arts and Science with our own mix of curriculums.  K12 is definitely a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned, but it has a long way to go before I'd use it full time again.

I keep seeing people say this. It must really be the state...I just have a little assessment at the end of the unit for her to do or for me to feel out and that's that. Just to show that she gets the material.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I sometimes think about using K12 for when my kids get into 8th grade or so. We'll just have to see.

chrissymanor
by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM
So do mine ! we are in Tucson.

Quoting fygfitness_mom:

My girls attend Arizona Virtual Academy (k12) and we love it!

It's
true that they are a public school and are required to follow state and
federal guidelines but that happens to be one of the things that I like
about them. It also means that when my girls graduate it will be with
an accredited diploma and GPA.

There is a schedule that we keep to and I know that for some that is a turn off but it works for us. We can and have done school while on vacation or simply moved around their days off. My youngest daughter is a competitive dancer which requires a great deal of travel during the school year and k12 allows that so long as we can log our attendance.

We can also log their extra curricular things as attendance as well. Things such as dance, swimming, softball, chess, discovery channel movies and library time. Anything that is relevant to their education and physical well being may be logged.

As far as their electives go, my girls take foreign language. This year I have one taking Spanish and the other taking French. Their first year with AZVA they both took Latin. They do have a music program here as well but to be honest it is not very good. We would much rather place the girls in lessons here and just count the attendance.

My girls work at their own pace in each subject. If they test out of a lesson then we move right along to the next one. If at any point they are having difficulty understanding a subject we receive support from their assigned teacher as well as other members of the AZVA staff.

We actually just received their
materials in the mail yesterday. They love when they see the k12 boxes
on our front porch, it's like Christmas to them. We opened all of the
materials and double checked to ensure that they received all of them
which gave the girls a glimpse into this school year.

I don't
know about other states but in Arizona we have k12 hybrid schools as
well. Which is basically like a giant co-op with extra perks. If there
is a subject that I am not able to get across to them so that they can
thoroughly understand it, they have someone who can. it is also a great
way for them to socialize with other children that attend the same
school. They still get to have school spirit, togetherness and create
camaraderie but with students that I approve of. 

I know that virtual schools are not for every family and there are some that really dislike the lack of control but it's what works for us. Sorry this is so long. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
estilofamiliar
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I have been homeschooling my kids for the las 6 years, but in August I decided to do it through K12. We did it for 2 months and then quit for these reasons:

*It was too much work for them, just like in public school.

*It required too much involvement from me and I believe that they learn better when they work by themselves. My kids are 9 and 7. (3rd and 4th grade)

*Math were too analytical. My 3rd grader was learning multiplication, but the exercises were so analytical that he spent more time trying to understand how to analyze the problems but was not sure about how to multiply. He just needed to understand how to multiply. They make it too complicated!

*I liked the Language Arts reading selection for 2nd grade, but not the History...it was too boring...even for me. As I homeschooler I combined subjects, but with K12 we had to cover each subject separately. For example in LA he was reading about the beginning of US for reading comprehension and then he had to cover Rome for History. They should've combined History of US with Language Arts and that's it.

*Since they are ESL they were a little behind in the progress but doing it perfectly and improving day by day. Because of the slight delay they wanted to put them in Chapter 1 and put MORE "remedial" work to help them advance...they were doing an 100% A work but just a little behind. It made no sense putting more workload on them (that did not count for K12 progress) to make them get ahead. I did not want them to "fast forward" the material without learning it...that make no sense.

*I did not like the Literature selection for 3rd grade. Math was extremely analytical for my understanding, but they loved the online lesons.  Science was OK...good experiments and projects.

*The scheduler online was great, because it helped you to get organized regarding the classes they need to cover and the material they needed.

In conclusion...it was very public school, too much testing, too much pressure on us to get ahead, not too flexible. It didn't fit to our style. And that's what I like about homeschooling. I like the curriculum  to fit their needs.

Now we are homeschooling on our own and is so free and flexible, though they have a structured chore chart they have to follow buy themselves every week. They know exactly what they have to be doing every day and they just come to me when they do not understand the material. They try to do it by themselves first, if not they come to me with the questions or for guidance. Now they are more happy, independent and responsible for their daily work. They don't depend on me like before and they are learning so much more. That's the whole purpose of the education...learning and teach to work independently. Preparing them to life.

In my opinion, if you like and enjoy to create the curriculum you will love to homeschool on your own. But, you can try K12 and have the experience and decide if its for you or not. It did not work for us, but it can be different for you.It depends on your children: what they need, what they enjoy, etc.

Mayra

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)