Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So, what should I be doing?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM
  • 5 Replies

My son is 5 so if he were going to public school he would be in kindergarten this fall. I love the idea of un-schooling, but I personally need some form of a schedule. I have never been good at being a "play it by ear" kind of person. My son is like me, he likes to have his day mapped out and I am blank. I just am having a terrible time coming up with some sort of schedule.

I'm happy to let him learn at his own pace, but his pace seems to be my pace. He's willing to do almost anything. I say almost, because he hates writing so we've stopped that. He loves to draw, and is good at it but letters are not his forte at this juncture. Anyway, I was just wondering what sort of if any curriculum you used for kindergarten. If you kept it loose, what did you do? I would love some ideas. 

by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
FlyHippie
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:55 AM

In kindergarten....the writing we did was in sidewalk chalk. My son began writing that way.

We did "sight words" but I taped them to the wall and we did races. "GO FIND THE WORD THE!" and he ran as fast as he could, grabbed the correct word and brought it to me, while I cheered him on. We counted things, we did simple addition and subtraction with "things"... we did fun science experiments and lots of field trips...

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I think that's an awesome example of how you can use fun to teach. It really is as easy and fun as you make it

Quoting FlyHippie:

In kindergarten....the writing we did was in sidewalk chalk. My son began writing that way.

We did "sight words" but I taped them to the wall and we did races. "GO FIND THE WORD THE!" and he ran as fast as he could, grabbed the correct word and brought it to me, while I cheered him on. We counted things, we did simple addition and subtraction with "things"... we did fun science experiments and lots of field trips...

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM

hi faeriemom!! what i did with some of my kids for k i didnt use any curr. we just kinda did this stuff, sometimes we would skip, there was no 'had to get this done today thing' going on, it was just natural and flowed.

we'd start out with getting dressed, cleaning room, eating breakfast-health

then we'd start some school stuff(i dont know why this skips sentences all the time!)

we'd pray for our day, sing a song , memorize a verse or a simple poem or song for about 15 min to 1/2 hour or so(till they were getting bored)-bible

then we'd do some math, counting on fingers and toes, counting socks, bugs, rocks, etc, do some simple math problems using those manipulatives, for a bout a half hour

next we'd do some music, bang on some drums, simple stuff on piano, or guitar, or some kind of instrument for about 15 min.

then we'd get out the large paper and do some finger painting, or use paint brushes to make letters of name,  i would draw big circles or squares or? and have child paint inside them, good for cordination- handwriting for about a half hour

then we sit down and try some phonics, (i didnt use a program) we started with letters of her name, sounding out small words, etc for about 1/2 hour

then we'd eat lunch- clean up or sometimes for lunch we take a hike and bring our drawing pads and camera, sit and eat lunch and look for bugs, leaves animals, etc- science- sometimes this lasted for an hour or so

we'd go out and tend the garden, and do the rest of our chores then come in and i'd read to all the kids, some of them would play quietly(most of the time) - reading

later towards dinner sometimes the child would help me make dinner so i always had the child use the measuring stuff no matter we needed to or not!hahah thats some more math!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I'd suggest just making a relaxed routine, vs a schedule.  So, an order of what you want to do things, but not a certain time.  Does that make sense?

So for example,

Calendar
Story
Go over the activities for the day
Seatwork (math, copywork, etc)
have a snack
Go outside and play, or do some nature study
music (or art, or whatever)
lunch
free play

Mainly just find time for things like reading, writing, math, science (nature), and play :)

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Thank you all so much, these are all wonderful ideas and I can't tell you all how much I appreciate you taking the time to write it out!

thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN