Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you ever sold a home? Obviously ot :)

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM
  • 12 Replies
My husband and I are looking to move back to the country. Mostly because we love it, but also to get away from some of the influences around here on our two dd's.

We own a home, so we have to sell it before we can purchase another. Any tips?

It makes me sad because this is our first home, we have been here since we got married, raised both kids here so far. I actually love my house, if the rooms were a little bigger and it was on about 5-10 acres of land :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Ugh. I've sold more in the past 2 years than I care to admit.

First, keep bins hidden in a convenient place. When you get a call about someone wanting to see your house in 10 minutes, you will be able to clear out whatever clutter there is.

Keep candles handy, or something to make your home smell inviting. Anything (safe) you can do....Maybe keep refrigerated cookie dough handy to bake right before you're expecting someone

Keep a list of places (indoor and out) you can disappear to when you have a showing

Keep your home inviting, while using nuteral colors.

Keep single use disposable wipes at all sinks. When you are done getting ready for the day, make it a habit to give the bathroom counter/sinks a quick wipedown

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

padavali
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:20 PM

No help here, we will be going on the market ourselves soon.  We are looking to move out of the country, into the city :(

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM
Those are awesome tips!

The part I'm most worried about is my basement. It is sooooo messy down there right now. I need to have a garage sale, but haven't had the time available coordinate with the weather. Lol

Quoting MedicMommy:

Ugh. I've sold more in the past 2 years than I care to admit.

First, keep bins hidden in a convenient place. When you get a call about someone wanting to see your house in 10 minutes, you will be able to clear out whatever clutter there is.

Keep candles handy, or something to make your home smell inviting. Anything (safe) you can do....Maybe keep refrigerated cookie dough handy to bake right before you're expecting someone

Keep a list of places (indoor and out) you can disappear to when you have a showing

Keep your home inviting, while using nuteral colors.

Keep single use disposable wipes at all sinks. When you are done getting ready for the day, make it a habit to give the bathroom counter/sinks a quick wipedown

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM
Trade? Lol

Quoting padavali:

No help here, we will be going on the market ourselves soon.  We are looking to move out of the country, into the city :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Check on facebook, see if there are any local groups for buying and selling stuff in your area...kinda like a craigs list. If not, start one!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:51 PM

We sold my mother's house after she passed. We weren't living in it at the time. Sorry I'm not helpful here...MedicMommy's tips are great! You could try checking out TLC, here's a link I think you'll find helpful; http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/selling-a-home.htm

Bests with many prayers for your sell and move :)

Melyssa-R
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

We've sold three houses so far but each time they were empty and we'd moved out already.  That was the easiest way it seemed like!

oredeb
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM

we just bought our first one !! well just a few months ago actually!

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

We sold our first home almost 3 years ago for a bigger house in a safer neighborhood.  One tip we had that seemed to help was to pack away most of our unnecessary items so it made the rooms & space look larger.  It also helped for quick cleanups when we had a call for someone wanting to look at the house.  We did some slight home improvements. I was sad too and will always remember that house so I know how you feel!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Never sold a home, never owned one.  I have made every other kind of commitment but am just not ready for this on yet.  LOL  My ex owned a home that he purchased while we were together and I just remember all the repairs and everything being on us... and I don't like to feel stuck LOL  See just not ready.   I wish you lots of good vibes in whatever you decide though :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)