Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life skills and household tasks; a teaching method

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was reading this article, http://simplekids.net/practical-life-skills/, and wondered what some of your answers would be to the questions possed at the end:

Do your kids help with household tasks? What ages are they and what chores do they do? What level of supervision do you have to provide? How do you balance getting the housework done with taking the time to teach practical life skills?

by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cedailey
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Goodness, yes.  My 3 year old can vaccuum and wipe the table with a wet cloth, my six year old can wash laundry (we line dry, and Momma is the only one tall enough to hang) and sweep, and my seven year old can wash (sturdy) dishes.  They can clean their own rooms with varying levels of oversight (okay, with the three year old it's constant oversight with frequent verbal prompting).  They also help with dusting sorting and scrubbing.  Since all of our cleaners are homemade (baking soda, borax, vinegar, salt)  they can do almost anything safely.  They don't clean the ceiling fans or the toilets.

wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 6:50 AM

We are teaching them to clean thier own rooms with minimal success at the moment. but they have the want to now so that is a far cry from when we first started.

wright1212
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM
  •  Do your kids help with household tasks? yes
  • What ages are they and what chores do they do? 
  • 8yo just pick up immediate messes (he is on 2yo level)
  • 6yo pick up piles i put when i pick up rooms, her room, windows, water plants, put all dirty clothes in shoot, clear table, help with brothers,
  • 1 yo, just pick up immediate messes, sometimes take stuff to his room, throw trash away
  • What level of supervision do you have to provide? I am always right there, except for DD6 cleaning her room, but i only shadow the 8yo.
  • How do you balance getting the housework done with taking the time to teach practical life skills? maybe i should read the article, housework is a practical lifeskill. for ex. my 8yo i have him sort silverware after 1yo put them from dishwasher to drawer. That is not only a problem solving math skill but a critical lifeskill. Just like they throw away their own dirty diapers.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

mamaof2n1angel
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:09 AM

my six and seven year olds  are  cleaning their rooms, trash, helping   with their  little  sister... able to make their  meals ( oter then  dinners) sort laundry and feed the  cats. even remind me to  make sure our  diabetic cat has had her  insulin shot fo rthe  day or night..

I try to get them to help with the house  work as muchas possible... I do try to pick up and clean  rooms daily...  

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Wyatt (newly 6) feeds the animals (10 cats, 3 dogs), tells me when his laundry basket is full, and then he helps me do his laundry. He also puts his clothes away (He does that with my supervision) He sets the table, empties the silverwear from the dishwasher. He likes to help vacuum, but that's not one of his chores. He also makes his bed.

For me, the key is to look for improvement, but not perfection. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

misselphaba
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

My kids do help with the house.  They take care of putting their dishes in the sink.  At the end of every weekday, they clean up the playroom from the baby mess (I give them each $5 a week for that ~ I babysit 4 extra kids, so that's their payment for doing their part which is cleaning up the toys), they clean out my car once a week, they make their own beds, my son (7) scoops the cat litter, my daughter (5) feeds the cats and reminds me to water them, my daughter vacuums the playroom when she wants, and they are both responsible for their own messes and picking up their own toys and putting their own dirty laundry in the hamper.  They clean up after themselves in the bathroom (from brushing their teeth or whatever).

On Sundays (our big clean day), they clean their bedroom ~ dust, vacuum, make sure their beds are clean underneath, etc.  They wipe down baseboards, cabinet doors, door knobs, and lightswitches throughout the house.  And they organize their desks from their projects all week. 

They are getting ready to start putting their own folded laundry away, as soon as I find baskets big enough for their laundry, but small enough for them to carry up the stairs, and cheap enough that I'm willing to pay for them.

They also do things I ask them to do throughout the day if something needs to be done.  Sometimes my 7 year old will throw the laundry down the stairs and put it in the washer.  Sometimes my 5 year old will put the laundry from the washer to the dryer. 

I provide enough supervision to tell/show them how to do it, then I check it.  If it's not done at a level I know they can do, they have to do it again.  I don't expect perfection, by any means, but if you leave a big glob of toothpaste in the sink, you *are* going to come back and take care of it.

Oh gosh!  I sound like a horrible mom!  When it's all typed out, it seems like all they do a ton of stuff!!

As for practical life skills, my son helps me take care of my daughter (he gets her breakfast sometimes) and the younger kids I baby sit for.  My daughter helps me with the babies I watch.  They help me cook.  They, for the most part, know how to shower on their own (I still check my son's hair for shampoo left in and I still wash my daughter's hair), they take care of their own teeth, they can get their own drinks if the pitcher's not too full, they know how to sweep up messes, they know pretty much how to do just about anything.  I guess I "balance" getting stuff done with teaching them practical life skills by teaching them stuff as I go??  Not teaching, really...more like...hmm...modeling, I guess. 

I'm not sure this post made any sense.  It's hot here, people are hollering, and I can't think.  LOL

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Makes perfect sense! And you DONT sound like a bad mom...it doesn't seem like a lot at all :)

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Do your kids help with household tasks?

yes, i started that when they were around 2, i gave them a rag and a squirt bottle, they couldnt really squirt the bottle(water in it), but they could scrub with the rag! they loved it, they would follow me around and clean where i cleaned! Hahaha very cute! as they got older they could handle the bottle and a few other chores till it was no problem and they could have the good stuff in the bottles!hahah . When they were all older they had a list of chores everyone  did daily before school started and after.

the first thing the kids learned as soon as they could walk was to clean their rooms, pick up toys , clothes , make beds, they didnt do it so good that young but they were learning! and practise makes perfect!hahaha i think thats how they learn to obey us parents also, its something they need to learn at the very beginning which helps at homeschooling and life!

What level of supervision do you have to provide?

i would check over there work as they got older cuz they'd have to do it again if they didnt do it the first time, of course considering their ages. we are a family and families work together so the chores had to be done the first time or thered be consequences!  they would follow me when they were younger, 2- 6 and by 6 they knew what they were suppose to do, etc.

How do you balance getting the housework done with taking the time to teach practical life skills?

hmm we learned life skills doing the chores which was all part of learning, homeschooling, no separation, putting socks together is matching and counting for math, folding clothes is making it neat and making it fit in the draw which is health and science! washing dishes is health, science and math!hahah cleaning walls are P.E., science! its all schooling!

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Love this...we just started implementing a more serious routine because I read in one of the wonderful homeschooling books that helped all of this make sense to me "as a homeschooling family you must have balance...we school together, work together and play together." Therefore, my older ds6 & dd4 have a chore list for 7 days a week that includes the following

ds6: take out trash, dust living room, make bed, put away folded laundry (children's laundry), put away dry dishes

dd4: make bed, pick up clothes, pick up toys, put clothes from dryer to basket

Then I have a Monday through Friday list for ds6, dd4 & myself. They each have 3 things that they will have to do. For ds6 it varies and for dd4 it is the same 3 things each day (since she is younger).

ds6: Mon-Shake out bathroom rugs, make breakfast, put clothes from washer to dryer Tues-clean t.v.'s & front glass, make lunch, put clothes from washer to dryer Wed-help with ironing, wash lower cabinet doors, put clothes from washer to dryer Thur-pick up limbs from front & side yard, wash off refrigerator, put clothes from washer to dryer Fri-Take linens off bed & help wash, responsible for snack time, put clothes from washer to dryer

dd4: (Same 3 things Monday through Friday) help fold laundry, feed & water the cat, help with dishes

I monitor up to 5 times with the eldest to ensure he is doing it properly & doesn't have any questions (with ironing, this is more of a work in progress). For dd4 these are all works in progress because she is learning the idea of a family working together & how to complete tasks daily in a proper manner.

It teaches them responsibility & pride in doing something themselves, as well as gives me extra time to work on their school plans along with giving me time on my school work.

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Sure, after my morning routine (cafemom & coffee) he will help me make my bed, I'll help make his bed, we'll do a general living room tidy and pick up his bedroom. Later, after lunch he'll help with whatever chores I need to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN