Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

PreK-K foreign language?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm wanting to further expose and teach my children the Spanish language. Right now I'm just doing basic stuff here and there. Any suggestions? I'd like to make it a bigger part of our curriculum or at least integrate it more. Thanks~

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cedailey
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I do German and we use music and video and books.  I started with just basic words, then we moved to board books- like Pat the Bunny or The Very Hungry Caterpillar type books.  I do just what you would do with a 2 year old in english, read and point to things in the pictures as you go.  Short cartoons or that Disney movie they have memorized, use the appropriate language option (you have the advantage here, most movies have spanish or french available) on dvds.   Cds of little kid music (a la The Wheels on the Bus, or even Baa baa black sheep), Just put them on in the background and you will be surprised how quickly they start to sing along.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Good post. Wyatt wants to learn spanish, and I'm not sure how much money I want to put forth on foreighn language. 

I definitely can't wait to see responses

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

bellableu87
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM
We are going to start basic sign languge for our FL..BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FlyHippie
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Speak it. use everything you learn...or you and they will forget it!

Sarahsmommy1008
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I've thought about trying to teach DD (2 1/2) a second language, but was afraid if I introduced it too early, it might be too confusing for her.  I'd be interested in what others are using to teach the second language - we might try this in the next year or so since she's saying complete sentences now.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM

It's not confusing for them! They'll get it. I speak Spanish to my 19 month old granddaughter and she's all good with it. She speaks both...it's all good. They speak English in their home and she speaks Spanish here...

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:35 PM

We are doing sign language with our 2.5 year old and we plan to keep it part of her daily lessons. Right now we are just teaching her the basic words. 

We might start Spanish but I think we will wait until they are older for that. 

MommaChell
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Quoting cedailey:

I do German and we use music and video and books.  I started with just basic words, then we moved to board books- like Pat the Bunny or The Very Hungry Caterpillar type books.  I do just what you would do with a 2 year old in english, read and point to things in the pictures as you go.  Short cartoons or that Disney movie they have memorized, use the appropriate language option (you have the advantage here, most movies have spanish or french available) on dvds.   Cds of little kid music (a la The Wheels on the Bus, or even Baa baa black sheep), Just put them on in the background and you will be surprised how quickly they start to sing along.

I didn't think of board books in Spanish, that's so going on my library to-do! I'll have to look into the Cd's in spanish. Great ideas, thanks so much...btw, what are your kids favo shows to watch in spanish?

MommaChell
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

It's not confusing for them! They'll get it. I speak Spanish to my 19 month old granddaughter and she's all good with it. She speaks both...it's all good. They speak English in their home and she speaks Spanish here...

Good to know, I was a bit concerned about introducing it too early as well, so thanks for the info.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

Speak it. use everything you learn...or you and they will forget it!

4-shore!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)