Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A Beka vs. BJU

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

Can anyone give me some real reviews on these two? How they compare?

My DD is currently in first grade using A Beka, but I am considering switching to BJU. Thanks for any advice you can give.

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I'm Catholic, so I do not use either (both have decidedly anti-catholic sentiments), but I have friends who have used both. The general consensus among my friends is that BJU is dry, boring and tedious. Reviews are a bit better for Abeka though... especially their younger grade curricula.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I'm sorry I've never used either... hope someone here can help!!! 

katzmeow726
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I keep hearing good thnings about a beka, but my father's world (is that right? I'm like so tired, I coudl be crazy) is another one we're considering for some subjects.

RheaF
by Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I looked into My Father's World but it doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for us. We have used A Beka for 2 years now, but DD is having trouble with it a little.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 15, 2011 at 8:34 AM
This! Here is a bump for you :)

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

I'm sorry I've never used either... hope someone here can help!!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
houseful
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM

I've used both.

ABeka has a different method of teaching reading. I used Bob Jones for the primary years. With Bob Jones, you teach a word family like "at" then add different beginning consonants to it: at, sat, fat, cat. I think that ABeka does it the opposite way, teaching all the vowel sounds then changing them, but keeping the initial consonant sound the same: shell, ship, shut, shops.

Bob Jones uses different characters to teach the phonics rules. There is a dog called Marker E. When he is in a word, the vowel changes to a long vowel sound. There is Miss Silent, Bossy R, Miss Long, Mrs. and Mr. Short. There are also songs that are used to learn the sounds and the rules.

ABeka uses repetition of phrases and rules and uses visuals to teach phonics.

Bob Jones's teacher editions give much more teacher instruction than A Beka's does. There were basically scripts of what to say to the child, and what he should say in return.

ABeka is less expensive, and does a good job. It has a very good grammar program in the older grades. The student will be doing more diagraming and will learn his parts of speech better with ABeka than with Bob Jones.

Bob Jones tends to lean toward the Calvinistic bent... speaking positively of the Reformers (Luther and Calvin). ABeka doesn't bring them up very much. However, it tends to emphasize Christmas to a great extent.

Both will offer phone support if you have a problem with something.

Sandy588
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Hi.  It is my first year homeschooling and it is almost at the end. Before many months reserch about curriculum, my kids pick A Beka. According the online reserchs I will take BJU. But I did let they choose after we watched all the samples together.

Because english is not my first language I decide to use the DVD. It is very easy. some time I see some people seeing it is wast of time but for us working very well.

It it is working for us. For me looking boring but the kids love it. I was so surprise. They not want change and we dicide stick with it. They did de SAT testing and we are wetting for the results.

Sandy588

second grade and third grade

plclemo
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 6:17 AM

I taught Junior High Science for 6 years and used A Beka for the first 4.  It was not as "scientific" as I would have liked.  So in the summer I asked the school admin to consider a change to BJU's curriculum.  I LOVED IT!  In fact, after that first trial year, the school changed the entire science curriculum to BJU.  As for Engish and reading, I understand A Beka is preferred over BJU. Science, Math, Bible - BJU; English, reading, history - A Beka.  That is what our Christian School uses.  That of course is in the Junior and Senior high classes.  I really have no idea what they prefer in the elementary ones.

Christine0813
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:57 AM

I've never heard of BJU. I use A Beka for my first grader and love it.

He is doing very well and is catching on very quickly. I plan on using it again for him, and adding my 4Th grader and kindergartner as well in the fall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)