Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone understand? OT

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM
  • 17 Replies

Now this isn't about agreeing, just understanding....

I am a single mom with three kids girls 7 and 6 and a boy 3.  We live in a small 3 bedroom.  I have decided that I am going to switch rooms with my girls.  So I'll have one of the tiny rooms, and they'll have the small master.

My mom, dad, and grandmother have all looked at me funny and asked why I was doing that.  I tried to explain-it's just me and theres two of them.  They can have a bit of room to play-that doesn't involve dragging all of their toys to the living room.  They could use the bigger closet.  Everyone just keeps reiterating that the adult needs the bigger room/private bathroom. (I know plenty of families that only have one bathroom)

Whether you would do it or not, does anyone understand why I'm doing the switch?

Gotta get back to work, I want it all settled before we start school 8/15 (there I got school in the post)

by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lynette
by Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM

we did the same thing.  our 2 boys have the master.  It just makes more sense for them to have it.  All I do in my bedrm is sleep and such.  The boys play in their rooms.  We don't have any kind of a playroom so that is their space. 

hailnbray
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM

makes sense to me. i only see a prob with it if there was a safety issue like doors out to the back yard or something or if u didnt have a door on ur room or if it was a walk thru or something to where u dont have space for adult time.

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:32 PM
Makes sense to me. I would do the same thing if our kids shared a room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Certainly makes sense to me if you are personally happy with the decision.  (Don't know if I would be so generous, LOL!)  I don't see why anyone should feel a need to comment negatively about it.  Your being a generous mom for a very practical reason.  You are putting the needs of others before your own, just as the Good Book says! 

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Mamagirlz
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Makes sense to me.  When I use to live in a different town my sister had the master bedroom.  When she moved out I got the master bedroom.  We just had more stuff then our parents.  It was their idea.  It was an older house so all it was was a bigger bedroom.

scrapin_mom
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I understand...My husband and I have been talking about giving our boys the master. Now there is not a bathroom in it but they need the bigger room more than we do. Also I have a good friend that has done this and there is a bathroom in theirs. Do what works best for you and your kids!!

Lynette
by Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM
I kinda think of it this way too. That I have the living rm, kitchen, bathrm to decorate and make mine(DH has the basment to decorate). They only have their rm. And then with homeschooling your kids are home more than other children that added space it nice for them to have. It's not like I'm giving up this huge rm either. We live in a small house w/ small rooms. The master bedrm was the only one that the bunkbeds wouldn't cover the window.
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I would absolutely do it. Besides, whether any of us would or not isn't the point.

If it's what you want go for it!

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I understand 

cedailey
by on Jul. 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Thanks!  Sometime it just seems like people don't see outside the box.  All I have is a bed, dresser and bookshelf, and really I'm only in my room to sleep.  The girls, even with bunkbeds, only have a bare bit of floor 2 ft x 4 ft between the furniture.  That's not enough for playing, and so they go to the living room, and then I'm frustrated and annoyed because the "public" part of the house is always cluttered.  Ds doesn't have the same problem, because he's still in a toddler bed and he has a very small dresser, which leaves plenty of floor space.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)