Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Brand new to homeschooling!

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am going to start homeschooling our 12 year old son this fall!I would love opinions on wether unschooling is as well as traditional studies?

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM

We are eclectic. We do use math curriculum, but we are adjusting it to our tastes. Other than that, we are more or less unschooling, but with certain goals we will meet. Wyatt won't have any idea he's in "school". Science will be covered by gardening, and starting a compost pile this year. The other subjects will be similar to that. He's going to scrapbook things he learns, and that's "art". 

The best thing about homeschooling is that you can do what works best for your family

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I have home educated for 19 yrs.  Personally I think unschooling is great in the young grades but have always used traditional studies past grades 3 or so. I am pretty relaxed though :)   Fourteen of our fifteen has already graduated our home school. Only one more to go. She is 13 now :)

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I say try it & if it works then go with it. You will know best if your child is learning or not & they will tell you if it is working, you will see it in their drive or lack of drive for learning and how well they seem to be picking things up.

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I am totally new at this, but I am enamoured of the whole unschooling thing.

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM

hi jl!

congratulations on chosing to homeschool!! yea!! and welcome!!

well not sure if ones better than the other! since i do them all with the kids that i teach! so your probably gona have to try it out! see how you and your son like it!

debbie

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I really love unit studies.  I think it's a happy medium between "unschooling" and "traditional" methods of homeschooling.  They generally cover all "subjects" except arithmetic, for which I use singapore math for my son and math-u-see for my daughter.  They also use the CD-Rom Typing for Children (Typer's Island) which is a fun way to learn to type.

You don't use traditional textbooks for the other subjects, just conversation and lots of hands-on learning.  We do lapbooks, which are lots of fun and, in a way, you are making your own textbooks from the things you learn.

I use a Christian history-based unit study program called Learning Adventures.  (I've previously used CDs from Amanda Bennett which we also enjoyed.  I've also heard good things about My Father's World.  There are also Charlotte Mason teachings which lean more toward the "unschooling" approach and are literature-based.)  We read great literature (read-alouds) and use fun books like DK Eye Wonder books and The Magic School Bus and The Magic Treehouse.  We also use DK Eyewitness Books for their excellent photos. There are many lapbook templates that can be found on-line, and we consider making them a fun way to learn and remember what we learn.  (Of course, I am a little bit uptight-LOL!  I do peek at the scope and sequence for ABeka on-line to make sure my children are not "missing out" on any subject.  And, of course, they are not! (~:) 

I personally need more structure than the "unschooling" approach, but the "traditional" approach doesn't really allow for learning to be FUN! 

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Welcome!!!  I've done things Traditionally, Relaxed, and now I'm easing into unschooling.  I think you will just have to play around with things to see what works best for your family.  Some kids do better with serious structure while others have a great love for learning and can pick up everything on their own without any direction.  It will just depend on your children.  :)  And it may take years to really figure it out, not unusual :)   Look forward to getting to know you, we have a great group of ladies here, the support is amazing!!!!  Sending you lots of positive vibes through your new Journey ~*~*~*~*~*~

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM

I also use eclectic (also known as learning lifestyle) uses all 8 methods.  Situations change, parents change, and children change, and being flexible makes it easier on everyone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN