Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you teach your children...

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

...that's not academic? And lessons outside the home or taught by others don't count. What actual "curriculum" do you design? 

We do character qualities. I write one on a dry erase board, along with the definition and we talk about how we can show that quality to others.

I also do cooking lessons

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:22 AM

everything we home school  

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:24 AM
We are starting character Qualities and she also is learning to cook. DH is teaching her art.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KDBeckham
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

Well there are 2 things we work on daily and/or weekly. The first thing is basic domestic duties which include anything from folding clothes, to washing dishes, to dusting and sweeping. We also go to the library & pick out the special books in the parenting section in the children's section that have character qualities. There is one per book such as "cooperation, kindness, honesty...etc." We read the story and go over ways to use and/or show that quality.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM
Everything?? I don't design any curriculum. We don't do any structured learning.
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I guess I didn't phrase the question well :) Is there anything that you lesson plan for that isn't academic?

Quoting misselphaba:

Everything?? I don't design any curriculum. We don't do any structured learning.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:41 AM

We do world religions. As Buddhists in a Southern Baptist town, I know how much ignorance plays into prejudice....so we learn about all religions.

My kid has been to Prodistant, Catholic churches, a Hindu Temple, Buddhist Temples and in a week, we will be touring an Islamic Mosque....we still have a Jewish Temple to go....then we'll learn about Ba'hai and "smaller" religions....fascinating...

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

My son is very interested in Magic(k) (I think the k is silly, but most Pagans use it and I suppose it does differentiate between a Witch and a Vegas act) So, I am slowly starting to teach him about herbs and spells and intent. His energy is really great for Witchcraft, whereas my daughter was all static. He might me a natural and I think I should encourage it. Next week I'm going to have him help me build a family altar in front of the never used fireplace.

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

i teach cooking and handwriting in a coop group, and they are in it,

i made up my cooking and handwriting curr. well i call the cooking home ec

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Quoting faeriemom1972:

My son is very interested in Magic(k) (I think the k is silly, but most Pagans use it and I suppose it does differentiate between a Witch and a Vegas act) So, I am slowly starting to teach him about herbs and spells and intent. His energy is really great for Witchcraft, whereas my daughter was all static. He might me a natural and I think I should encourage it. Next week I'm going to have him help me build a family altar in front of the never used fireplace.

THIS is fascinating to me!!!!!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I haven't started yet but plan on working the law of attraction into our teachings.  I'm going to teach the kids about visualizing what they want and training their minds to only focus on the wants, not the not wants.  We are also going to do Vision boards (we have done these in the past) and writing something they are grateful for daily. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)