Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Handwriting...What If Anything Are You Using?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM
  • 17 Replies

Since this is our first year homeschooling I wanted to go with something I had heard of frequently and had also heard was a very good program. So we are going with HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) and I think that it is going to be a great product. I purchased the TG, the slate, the chalkbits and the student Printing Book for less than $30. I had already purchased a huge pack of writing paper from our local Office Church School supply store & it was extremely cheap.

What are you using if anything? Have you used it previously? Do you like it, advantages/disadvantages? Cost? Ease of teaching and progress versus effort?

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cedailey
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

We use Cursive First.  It's inexpensive, meant to be copied for the whole family to use.  Each lesson is only half a page and it's only writing, there are no distracting pictures taking up space on the page.  The script is simple and clean (when they are older they may learn fancy loopy cursive if they like) and easy to learn.  And with doing the cursive to start we've eliminated letter reversals, which is a big help.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I just use handwriting printables from the internet. I've also purchased handwriting paper when it was on clearance at WalMart. I'm cheap :-P

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

for my older kids i used Italic Handwriting Series by barbara getty and inga dubay  i love it!

now days i use  one that i made up, using a font i found on the internet and a program called 'startwrite' to make up copybooks and a huge chart for the wall

fygfitness_mom
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

We use HWT as well. We love it!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM
We are using hwt printing book (grade 1)

We have been using it for almost 2 months. I have mixed feelings. For example, it does kind of tell you how to write, and I like the magic c concept. Julia's handwriting is improving, but idk. I can't really say what it is that I don't like. Maybe it just seems boring to me?

One tip: if you have a younger kid (dd will be 6 this month), we finally started using a stuffed animal bunny as the "magic c bunny" and I have the bunny kind of show her and tell her what to do, in a different voice. It sounds dumb, and it is, lol but I was bored out of my mind and felt like it wasn't fun. Now she laughs and wants the bunny to stay.

The hard part was trying to get her out of the habits she was taught in public k. Like making a's using a circle and a line ( same for d, b, g, etc) but really, being under 2 months using it, and seeing a lot of difference, I can't complain. I haven't decided if we will use the next book, or start with copy work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM
Oh, the thing we do with the bunny. I will have bunny hold a bright colored pencil. I will face away so Julia can see the back of the bunny and pencil, and will have her guess what letter bunny is writing. Then she has to write the letter she thinks he wrote, and bunny tells her if she is right. Just helps getting some practice in and not saying "write the letter ...."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I'm going to try HWT--I read somewhere that it suppose to be directed at southpaws (?) so we'll give it a shot.........

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM

In the TG it does have a good bit of info for lefties. I am a lefty and my son is a righty...so this will be a challenge for us, however I seem to like the way it is set up. From the instruction it reads that reversals are impossible because of the way you teach them to write each letter.

Quoting Danielle163:

I'm going to try HWT--I read somewhere that it suppose to be directed at southpaws (?) so we'll give it a shot.........

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

Danielle163
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping it goes smooth. DD can get really frustrated with certain letters. I'm right handed so it makes it hard (but not impossible) for me to ...get at the angle, I  guess is how you would say it. We worked on her cursive all of 2nd grade (some), just out of a workbook.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I'm left handed and DS is right handed...honestly, it's never occurred to me that it would cause issues.

Handwriting is definitely something I want to work on this year. I thought about using HWT, but I am really trying to keep costs down to a minumum, and there is just so much on the internet. You can google "Free handwriting printables" and you willget some for all kinds of writing styles. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)