Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handwriting...What If Anything Are You Using?

Posted by   + Show Post

Since this is our first year homeschooling I wanted to go with something I had heard of frequently and had also heard was a very good program. So we are going with HWT (Handwriting Without Tears) and I think that it is going to be a great product. I purchased the TG, the slate, the chalkbits and the student Printing Book for less than $30. I had already purchased a huge pack of writing paper from our local Office Church School supply store & it was extremely cheap.

What are you using if anything? Have you used it previously? Do you like it, advantages/disadvantages? Cost? Ease of teaching and progress versus effort?

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Replies (11-17):
Danielle163
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Quoting MedicMommy:

I'm left handed and DS is right handed...honestly, it's never occurred to me that it would cause issues.

Handwriting is definitely something I want to work on this year. I thought about using HWT, but I am really trying to keep costs down to a minumum, and there is just so much on the internet. You can google "Free handwriting printables" and you willget some for all kinds of writing styles. 

I don't really know how to explain it...but it just makes it more difficult than if she was right handed like me. LOL

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM

LOL,it was my "blonde moment" that made me not think it would cause issues. I guess I didn't think that far ahead. I wonder if sitting across the table from him so things are "backwards" would make a difference?

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Steph we are in the same boat because I am left handed & Austin is right handed, which is exactly what I decided that spending the money on a handwriting curriculum was crucial. I only spent $29.50 on everything I got from the HWT site & I can reuse the TG & slate for Brooke, plus Austin can continue to use the slate next year. I spent most of my money on math, handwriting and phonics/reading...my science & social studies is completely free from lessonpathways.com so that's where I am saving my money this year. I just didn't want Austin to miss out because we were opposite and I didn't know how to teach a right handed child how to write, lol.

Danielle163
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM

We just got back here--If your talking to me--don't feel bad, I've had many "moments" like that. LOL   

KDBeckham--You said that you spent around $30.00 for the HWT--and you said that included a slate (?). Is that for younger kids? I must have missed that when I was checking HWT out.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM

We are not using anything....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:39 PM

At the homeschooling convention, I got the TG for $7, the printing guide for $7, I found a chalkboard with chalk for $1 at the dollar store, and the CD for.... I can't remember, from a used curriculum sale.  But we don't use the CD because I got the wrong one (the one for prek-k) 

__Heather__
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Son's handwriting was deplorable at the beginning of the summer.  We have been using BJU Handwriting 2 (precursive or denailian moving into cursive at the end of the year).  Sometimes choosing a different type of writing improves legibility and makes them excited about the subject again. (he was learning ball and stick)

Homeschooling Noah(7) Grade 2

BJU Bible Truths, Reading, English, Spelling, Math, Handwriting, Heritage Studies, Apologia Astronomy, Teaching Art to Children, Ready to Read Music, reading mounds of books and classical literature

Plans for this year: Swimming, Soccer, Cub Scouts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)