Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you start the same time every day?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM
  • 16 Replies

We have so many moms that don't go by a set schedule. For those that do as well as those that don't, do you start the same time every day? Do you wait until everyone's in the mood forit? Do you follow a routine (Wake up whenever, eat, school)? 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

my kids are still young, and I probably should dio a schedule, but haven't yet. I usually wait until they seem ready adn responsive.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I don't use a schedule. We have a checklist of what needs to be done. The only big rule is responsibility before fun. However, if I know it's going to storm later, then we will go outside (when it's not so hot) before doing work

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM
We have checklist and as long as it is done by end of night I don't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I will probably never have a specific schedule as far as "at 10 we do this, at 10:30 we do that" but I will eventually have a list of things I'd like to accomplish during the day. I do try to get up and moving at the same time everyday. Probably what I'll do is make an am & pm schedule. We'll call it bl and al- before lunch and after lunch. That might satisfy my need for a schedule.

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

everyone needed to be up by 8 at the latest, (animals needed to be fed!) some of the chores done, rooms cleaned, breakfast ate by 9 then we start schooling so i guess its the same most days!

cedailey
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM

We don't have much of a schedule.  Dance (or swim depending on season) lessons, storytime at the library, and park day are at specific times.  School is between breakfst and lunch, whenever those are.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

We will need to more next year to fit everything in. Looking at all he's doing, it's gonna be tough. I've never been a "get up by this time and start" person...but I am pretty sure we'll have to this next year.

He's the president of student council (homeschool group has this) 

He does Odyssey of the Mind (and I will coach)

Teen Classic movies, teen movies, teen boys day, baseball (every evening and on weekends), basketball, plus science lab over an hour away, drums the same distance, science fair (and science fair class), debate and Spanish which is 45 minutes away....

He's going to be so darned busy. Plus, he'll be doing all 9th grade classes...and he's only 13.

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:36 PM

oh yeah....and teen literature class and astronomy club....I'm sure I've forgotten more...

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM

This is one point which was important to my husband.  He's not a very demanding person, so of course I respect his input.  He wants us on a schedule because he feels that it is our job as parents to teach them to become responsible adults.  Adults have to be to work on time, church on time, appointments on time.  They also need to learn to be good stewards of their time.  (We all know how important time management is to be able to do all we do in a day!)

Therefore, we start at 9:00 every day.  They must be out of bed by 7:30.  (I get up at 7:00.)  They must be dressed, bed made, breakfast eaten, teeth brushed, hair combed, morning responsibilites completed before 9:00 a.m.  Now, we don't have a "school bell" ringing every 45 mins to 1 hour to end/begin each subject-lol.  We just try to allot an estimated amount of time needed for each subject and follow a loose schedule.  We generally finish around 2:00, depending on that's day lesson (including an approx 15 min break in the morning and approx 45 min lunch time).  This works well, and gives them guaranteed "free time" before extracurriculars (swim class, art class, etc. on different nights) and afternoon/evening responsibilities.

It works very well for us!  I've always needed structure to do things well, anyhow.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:31 PM

We are sooOOooo lacking a schedule.  There was a time when we used to start 9am every morning... but boy have things changed!  Anytime we can work in school around me and hubby working, house stuff, animals, you name it... we make it happen.  Sometimes 9am, sometimes 3pm, sometimes 10pm, whatever ,whenever works!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)