Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dads

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM
  • 22 Replies

How much of the homeschooling does Dad/your S.O. do in your house? 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Tony travels on business often. Very often. He isn't able to be very involved in home schooling, but when he is home he helps with science, Church history, musical theory... his strong suits that I'm not comfortable teaching on my own. I do, of course, teach science; but any questions outside of the textbook is saved for my husband. Lol.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Mine is fun dad. He does science experiments, art, outside stuff...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:03 PM

My husband is just an amazing dad. He has rheumatoid arthritis and is on his feet for almost 8 hours a day but still comes home with a smile on his face. He is very technical and he loves taking ds on field trips. He turns almost everything into a fun learning experience.

oredeb
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM

dh takes care of the extra curricular activities!! (the fun stuff)hahaha

the practical stuff! how to change the oil in a car or lawn mower, how to replace a transmission, how to roast coffee, how to fish, how to hunt, how to change a light bulb, how to paint a car, how to repair a dent etc................

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Ditto.

The fun stuff.  The stuff that needs lots of patience.  They have built a chicken coop and a treehouse side-by-side.  They shoot the bow and arrows in the back yard.  They put out bird feed in our many feeders and identify the many birds.  They go fishing and hunting.  They often read together in the evenings.  Anytime he does anything, he has one or both of the kiddos learning how to do it, also.  He very much believes in keeping them active--swimming with them, riding bikes with them, hiking with them, etc.  He prays with them every night.  He's great! 

Oh, he also leads our local homeschool Contenders for the Faith Club of which our son is a member.  It's a Christian boys group and they learn "manly" skills for which they earn award pins.  Really cool! 

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

HA! I wish!

He does ZERO, probably doesn't know any piece of what we do, down to what grade his son is in! LOL...ok, maybe not that bad, but not as much of an exaggeration as you would think...

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:37 PM

This past year he did just as much as I did.  We pretty much split schooling up between him, myself, and my sister.  It worked really well.... This year I'm not really sure how things will go, I'm trying to work my schedule to be home more <crossing fingers> 

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Once a week we show dad what we did all week and try to get in involved in an activity. 

Mom71307
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Not too much right now... science stuff.  In a few years, when I am not able to teach their math and science, he will do those... I am not so hot in those areas.  Really earth science... I can do anatomy, etc.

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Well technically their "dad" does nothing since we are not together & he is not involved in their lives. However, S/O whom they call daddy & look at as their step-dad (the oldest) as of right now nothing. We are just starting he works a pretty demanding job as a plant manager for a new concrete plant here in town. He works most Saturday's & leave out before the sun is up every day & when he gets home its usually dinner time, so he really doesn't have time for anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)