Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

how much time? PIOG

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
  • 6 Replies

im ordering the K4 books from Abeka for Ciara to start this fall..how much time per day do u think i should set aside for this? im only getting the math, writing, reading and art books and i will also be using things off the internet

by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM

THat's really up to you guys. DS is 6, and I imagine school will take 2-3 hours a day. That includes gardening (science), reading, math, spelling...all of it. Well, except his guitar lessons and "PE" which will be taekwondo.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Oh, and I love your blog! I'm following it now :)

superm0m877
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM

aww thanks! I need to get back on my blog, i had a baby a week ago so its been neglected for a few weeks now! And i was thinking maybe 2 hours to start and go from there? I just dont want to overwork her!

oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM

couple hours!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM

I was going to say a few hours is prob a good max. :)  I find if we try to go more than that with anything (all subjects toether) I totally lose them :)  Good luck and congrats on the baby!!!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I agree with two hours or so.  Also, not all at once.  Break it up with some play time, game time, puzzle time, outside play, etc.  I think one of the most important things, especially when first starting, is to make "school time" enjoyable so that they associate learning with time that is enjoyable rather than have them associate learning with being an awful chore!  Having them start at a young age with the right frame of mind sets the stage for their future learning.  And remember, you don't have to just stick with the textbook stuff.  Do enjoyable things and make them educational!  (Like, use legos for counting, learning colors, making patterns, making shapes, making alphabet letters, etc.)These early years offer so much opportunity.  Don't stress over it, and don't stress your children over it.  Enjoy it!!  The learning will come naturally.

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)