Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Neighborhood kids...

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

How are you about having your childrens neighborhood friends over?  I try to avoid it all the time.  My kids are always asking for their friends to come in and as soon as I get out of the car from work their friends are bombarding me to come over.  It drives me nuts...  I feel bad for my kids but I'm just not that kind of mom.  I"m working on it.  I was having them in for a while and taking them places with us but I just find it stressful! I also feel like my kids are never invited to their house and their parents keep no control.... its like they are sending them out the door as soon as I pull up.  Am I the only one???? 

P.S.  WE have moved a lot in the last 2yrs and I swear its been the same in every neighborhood!!!! 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM

There are no neighborhood  children here.  I keep hoping that someone (homeschoolers preferably) will move in across the street, but no such luck. LOL

countjb
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Unfortunately, there are only two girls close to my daughter's age for her to spend time with. They take turns visiting at each other's homes. Our house is small, so we don't have a family room. When my daughter has a friend over, they either stay outside, or go in her room and close the door. I'd rather have them play here so that I know what's going on.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM

We don't have a neighborhood. Last year DS went to a private school that serves a couple counties. Naturally, the friends he made are in the next county over...which is about 40 minutes. So there's not a whole lot of get togethers.

We do have people behind us who used to homeschool, and they have a DD one year ahead of Wyatt. However, since we stopped going to their church, they don't really speak to us. 

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I loooove all the kids being here. I hear what's going on, I know the kids better....I love, love, love it. My son is outside from morning til dark with his neighborhood friends. They do so much together!

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I also feel stressed out around other peoples children. I'm never sure how to be. Luckily, we don't live in a neighborhood so I don't have to worry about it. I didn't actually choose motherhood, motherhood chose me and I'm making the most of it. I'm amazed everyday at how much I genuinely like my children and I'm equally amazed at how irritated I am at the behaviour of other people's children. No, I'd really rather not have that mess in my home.

smc0178
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I think you just wrote about my next door neighbors...only I started having 2 days a week where my kids are not allowed to play with anyone, we call this family night, it gives us a break but gives us quality time together without other peoples kids, and on the days they do come over, they can only stay and play for about 2 hours, but on the weekends if we do not have anything going on I will let them play longer.  They have to play here b/c  I do not allow my kids to go over there anymore b/c I do not like what I see (parent wise).

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM

ummmm, yeah... 

Well, I had the neighbor girls over yesterday, and it was actually fun, but normally I do not.  Mainly because I don't want to invite the neighbors 2 houses down.  They are awful.  They are rude, talk bad, are mean, bully.  I get sick of it. 

They do the same thing to my neighbor that I like.  The bad ones two houses down will be knocking on her door at 9-10 in the morning, and don't leave until 10 pm.  There are 4 kids, plus another baby living with them that isn't theirs, and the parents are never home, never come outside, don't do anything with their kids.  Their grandmother lives with them and watches them, cooks, cleans.  I want to go smack their parents. 

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Here either....I could only wish!!

Quoting Danielle163:

There are no neighborhood  children here.  I keep hoping that someone (homeschoolers preferably) will move in across the street, but no such luck. LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melissa6705
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:24 PM
I too would love it!!

Quoting FlyHippie:

I loooove all the kids being here. I hear what's going on, I know the kids better....I love, love, love it. My son is outside from morning til dark with his neighborhood friends. They do so much together!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM

No neighbor kids here our age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN