Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those w/split families

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

Do the ex's/dads get involved in homeschooling, etc? 

My older 2 are one father, my 7yr old another, then my husband and I have our 2yr old together.  My HUSBAND is involved and helps teach all of the boys.  My ex's/boys dads are not involved, both do not agree with me homeschooling, and just pretty much stay out of it.  I'm ok with that too!!!!  So how about everyone else in these situations?  How is it for you? 

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cedailey
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM

My ex was not involved when we were married, except to say that it was just for a year or two, or "we'll see"..ugh.  Now he doesn't even bother to see them except maybe 30 min in passing each month, so..really uninvolved.  But, since they were being homeschooled at the time of the divorce, he'd have to pay the fees to take me to court for us to stop.  And in this area, it's not likely he would win.  The local judge has a high respect for the concept of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (it helps that it's a rural area with just the one judge)

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

My ex fought tooth and nail when we decided to homeschool. But he never said a word to me, he did it through my son...niiiiice. he told him he'd never get into college, he'd never graduate, he'd never do this or that. He said the Texas Tomorrow Fun where we had the college being paid for called and said they wouldn't pay for DS's college if he was homeschooled...totally freaked my son out. I was running damage control every time my poor kid came home.

Come to find out...and the ex doesn't even know that I know this....the ex emptied all the kids' college funds. He stole over $30,000 from the kids. Guess the plan was that he'd say "I told you they wouldn't pay for it!" when the reasoning is that it's because the money paid in is now gone...

So he disagrees with it. He doesn't know ONE THING my son does in school. If we try and tell him, he'll interrupt with something else. he doesn't want to hear about it, know about it, nothing.

Actually, we recently told him that DS was elected to Student Council President (homeschool group) and my ex just busted out laughing like it was such a joke...we explained it wasn't here AT HOME, it was over 200+ kids in the group. He rolled his eyes, yeah right...and started talking about something else.

It actually inspires my son to do and achieve....just to prove that nimrod wrong.

faeriemom1972
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I actually want to cry right now, your ex needs to be tought a lesson.

Quoting FlyHippie:

My ex fought tooth and nail when we decided to homeschool. But he never said a word to me, he did it through my son...niiiiice. he told him he'd never get into college, he'd never graduate, he'd never do this or that. He said the Texas Tomorrow Fun where we had the college being paid for called and said they wouldn't pay for DS's college if he was homeschooled...totally freaked my son out. I was running damage control every time my poor kid came home.

Come to find out...and the ex doesn't even know that I know this....the ex emptied all the kids' college funds. He stole over $30,000 from the kids. Guess the plan was that he'd say "I told you they wouldn't pay for it!" when the reasoning is that it's because the money paid in is now gone...

So he disagrees with it. He doesn't know ONE THING my son does in school. If we try and tell him, he'll interrupt with something else. he doesn't want to hear about it, know about it, nothing.

Actually, we recently told him that DS was elected to Student Council President (homeschool group) and my ex just busted out laughing like it was such a joke...we explained it wasn't here AT HOME, it was over 200+ kids in the group. He rolled his eyes, yeah right...and started talking about something else.

It actually inspires my son to do and achieve....just to prove that nimrod wrong.

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Ugh. I'm sorry. When your son gets older, he will respect you so much more for standing up for him, and for what's best for your family

Quoting FlyHippie:

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM

DH is not DS' bio dad. DS's biodad has seen him twice in his entire life. I have sole custody, which means I get to make every legal decision.

There is a part of me that is terrified that if he finds out I'm homeschooling, he will fight it. I'm a pushover. I am NOT good at standing up for myself. I lost my daughter because I wouldn't stand up for myself.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:14 PM

My EX didn't c are about abnything I did. HE has nothing to do with our son now. Our son, DYlan is 21 now, and has 2 babies. Dylan has seen or heard from his "father" in about 6 years. The SOB has missed out on so much. HE has grandbabies and don't even know it.

Betty in KY

oredeb
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM

my ex never came around to see kids  so no problems there, he also had no say in how i educated the kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)