Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what counts for hours?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is a silly question since my state (TN) only wants a calendar that I check saying we did 4hrs a day. BUT I like to try to stick to the rules. Here are a few things I would like to know if they count, and I know technically anything can count, but you KWIM.

• My sons speech and OT he gets at school?
  • My sons speech and OT he gets at outside clinics?
  • My DD dance class?
  • could we even say Sunday School :-) ?
  • playing a video game like kinectamals? (uses your body and you care for a tiger)
  • swimming lessons?
  • listening to book on CD in the car?
  • COOP (im sure its a yes, but just curious if you have heard different)

Thanks for helping us newbies out.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MedicMommy
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I say yes. 

You really can make anything educational. Kiddos helping you cook? That's home ec and math. Even science

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM
We don't do hours but BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

well im not from tn, and we have no homeschool law like yours but i think all that counts!! the kids are learning!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM
We count PE for our karate classes, swimming at the Y, hiking when we go camping etc.

All OPs listed would be counted as educational, I don't know about the books on CD though. It would depend what it is and how you do it. If they followed along and read from a real book with it, yes. That is said to help with speed and comprehension. Or if its fact based, learning about something and you discuss it. I do Spanish language podcasts on my zunne with my kids.

I also count time in Girl scouts, boy scouts. they are learning at those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto2gr8ones
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Im not in TN but I would count all of that!!  If my children are learning then we are good.

jeng1980
by Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I would def count all of that.  I counted my son's cub scout day camp as a whole week this summer.  In GA you check off the days per month that you did and when you get to 180 then you just stop sending them in to the BOE.  You at least have to do 4 hours a day.  That's the only law there is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)