Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten and 1 st Grade

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

What do you do with your K and 1st grader?  Do you do formal lessons or not?  What subjects do you teach?  Do you grade them?  Do you go by a curriculum or just read and play games?   I am still sort of new and just interested in what others will be doing with their kindergarten and 1st graders.

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM

we do just play for k, 1 is a little more formal but its still mainly play, projects, fun stuff, we hardly do worksheets and we build our own lessons for the most part. i will never grade. i know if they know it or not. we do test/quiz but its normally in game form. we do math, la, phonics, art, music, gym,history, science and subject of choice, my daughter was really into sign language and my son wanted spanish but this can change as interest change. history, science, art, music and gym is not every day.

Kaylon
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM
Quoting hailnbray:

we do just play for k, 1 is a little more formal but its still mainly play, projects, fun stuff, we hardly do worksheets and we build our own lessons for the most part. i will never grade. i know if they know it or not. we do test/quiz but its normally in game form. we do math, la, phonics, art, music, gym,history, science and subject of choice, my daughter was really into sign language and my son wanted spanish but this can change as interest change. history, science, art, music and gym is not every day.

thank you

oredeb
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Hi kaylon!!

what do you do with your K and 1st grader?

with my k, we just did lots of hand on stuff, music,art stuff, singing, memorizing verses or poems(kids can memorize at that age very good) dancing, playing, reading together, making a game out of counting, coloring, etc

then with my 1st graders, i started phonics only if they were ready, we still read together, i used rod and staff math workbooks(which i love), we practiced handwriting using italic method, art bible stories, verses, songs,music, nature study and science which included drawing, coloring, some printing w/ my help, catching bugs, pressing flowers, learning about animals, etc. we also read stories about kids from history( christian liberty has serverl good books), made up some small unit studies to use, more reading outloud(me) playing, painting, games, cooking,

Do you do formal lessons or not?

for the k, we were not formal at all, just did stuff throughout the day, as we could, cuz i had all the other little ones too, i included them as much as possible.

the lessons were kinda formal, i started setting a habit, we'd start in the morning around 9 or so and end at around 12 or so

What subjects do you teach?

for k: no subjects really, other than reading(which i did) and art

for 1st gr. we did math, reading, phonics, music, science/nature study, history, art, bible ,handwriting, as time went by and the child started reading  we got into spelling/ vocab

Do you grade them?

no, never graded them

Do you go by a curriculum or just read and play games?

no i dont go by a set curr., i do get books from library, or buy some from online, make up my own stuff and make up my own lesson plan on how to do them, and we do play games and read also

i try to make learning as fun as possible! if the childs not getting it we go on to something else for a bit and then go back, each of my kids learned different things at different ages, none the same!! example: my girls started phonics at around 5 or 6 and my son wasnt ready till around 8, so adapted all the subjects to when they were ready for it.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM

For Kindergarten and first grade we did a lot of different things.  We used time4learning, Math-u-see, workbooks from Sam's and Books a Million, etc.  For the most part we did a lot of field trips and  hands on fun stuff.  As far as  book work we just did Math, Spelling, and Reading. :)  Welcome to homeschooling!!!!  :) 

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Cant answer much but I will say there will be no grades.. Since as a homeschooler we are not on a strict timeline & dont have to move on until the child knows the material. So naturally any grades would be A+   ;-)

timon95
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM
I teach my kids at the same level, so last year when ds was k dd was taught k also inside of pre-k. This year i taught them both 1st. For both years we used a curriculum. They learned reading, math, language arts, spelling, sign language, writing skills, history, science and bible lessons. I do not grade them yet but i do correct work and have them fix any mistakes that were made. We have story time and hands on projects and color papers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylon
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Quoting oredeb:

Hi kaylon!!

what do you do with your K and 1st grader?

with my k, we just did lots of hand on stuff, music,art stuff, singing, memorizing verses or poems(kids can memorize at that age very good) dancing, playing, reading together, making a game out of counting, coloring, etc

then with my 1st graders, i started phonics only if they were ready, we still read together, i used rod and staff math workbooks(which i love), we practiced handwriting using italic method, art bible stories, verses, songs,music, nature study and science which included drawing, coloring, some printing w/ my help, catching bugs, pressing flowers, learning about animals, etc. we also read stories about kids from history( christian liberty has serverl good books), made up some small unit studies to use, more reading outloud(me) playing, painting, games, cooking,

Do you do formal lessons or not?

for the k, we were not formal at all, just did stuff throughout the day, as we could, cuz i had all the other little ones too, i included them as much as possible.

the lessons were kinda formal, i started setting a habit, we'd start in the morning around 9 or so and end at around 12 or so

What subjects do you teach?

for k: no subjects really, other than reading(which i did) and art

for 1st gr. we did math, reading, phonics, music, science/nature study, history, art, bible ,handwriting, as time went by and the child started reading  we got into spelling/ vocab

Do you grade them?

no, never graded them

Do you go by a curriculum or just read and play games?

no i dont go by a set curr., i do get books from library, or buy some from online, make up my own stuff and make up my own lesson plan on how to do them, and we do play games and read also

i try to make learning as fun as possible! if the childs not getting it we go on to something else for a bit and then go back, each of my kids learned different things at different ages, none the same!! example: my girls started phonics at around 5 or 6 and my son wasnt ready till around 8, so adapted all the subjects to when they were ready for it.

Hello!  Thanks for replying!  

I am curious as how you go about putting together your own curriculum and lesson plans.  I have been looking through my Rainbow Resource catalog and have my scope and sequence.  I am still having a hard time and I guess because I don't want to forget things. I am feeling like I will miss/leave something out.    Any advice any one can give me or just tell me I need to chill out!? lol.  

Kaylon
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Quoting timon95:

I teach my kids at the same level, so last year when ds was k dd was taught k also inside of pre-k. This year i taught them both 1st. For both years we used a curriculum. They learned reading, math, language arts, spelling, sign language, writing skills, history, science and bible lessons. I do not grade them yet but i do correct work and have them fix any mistakes that were made. We have story time and hands on projects and color papers.

Thank you for answering!  How awesome that you can teach your children at the same level!   My two guys are one year apart (to the day) but in schooling are on different levels.  Maybe one day I will be able to get them on the same level.   

We enjoy the library a lot and go to story time every thursday along with tons of reading here at home.  We love books!

Kaylon
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Cant answer much but I will say there will be no grades.. Since as a homeschooler we are not on a strict timeline & dont have to move on until the child knows the material. So naturally any grades would be A+   ;-)

Thank you for answering.  I appreciate it!  I understand where you are coming from with grading.  Yay for A's and mom and dads that help them get the A's.  Seeing the light bulb pop on makes all bad days, simply wonderful! 

Kaylon
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

For Kindergarten and first grade we did a lot of different things.  We used time4learning, Math-u-see, workbooks from Sam's and Books a Million, etc.  For the most part we did a lot of field trips and  hands on fun stuff.  As far as  book work we just did Math, Spelling, and Reading. :)  Welcome to homeschooling!!!!  :) 

Thanks!  I will look into Math-u-see.  We used book's from Sam's for Pre K and they were wonderful.  Thank you for welcoming us!  We have been homeschooling for almost a year.  By trail and error.  We really needed this summer to take a break and mostly for me to re evaluate my teaching style and how I was doing things.  I think I was wanting to be alittle to formal and must remind myself to just have fun.  Why is that so hard? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN