Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten and 1 st Grade

Posted by   + Show Post

What do you do with your K and 1st grader?  Do you do formal lessons or not?  What subjects do you teach?  Do you grade them?  Do you go by a curriculum or just read and play games?   I am still sort of new and just interested in what others will be doing with their kindergarten and 1st graders.

by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM
Replies (11-18):
timon95
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Mine are 20 months apart, but you would never know they way they intetact with each other.
Love the library! We did story time as well. Now, we do the summer reading program. They love books! Love to read and love to be read to. You sign on scholastic.com as a homeschool to do the book club. Get the flyers in the mail, order books and earn bonus points for school supplies

Quoting Kaylon:

Quoting timon95:

I teach my kids at the same level, so last year when ds was k dd was taught k also inside of pre-k. This year i taught them both 1st. For both years we used a curriculum. They learned reading, math, language arts, spelling, sign language, writing skills, history, science and bible lessons. I do not grade them yet but i do correct work and have them fix any mistakes that were made. We have story time and hands on projects and color papers.

Thank you for answering!  How awesome that you can teach your children at the same level!   My two guys are one year apart (to the day) but in schooling are on different levels.  Maybe one day I will be able to get them on the same level.   

We enjoy the library a lot and go to story time every thursday along with tons of reading here at home.  We love books!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylon
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Thanks! I will check scholastic out. Sounds great!

Quoting timon95:

Mine are 20 months apart, but you would never know they way they intetact with each other.
Love the library! We did story time as well. Now, we do the summer reading program. They love books! Love to read and love to be read to. You sign on scholastic.com as a homeschool to do the book club. Get the flyers in the mail, order books and earn bonus points for school supplies

Quoting Kaylon:

Quoting timon95:

I teach my kids at the same level, so last year when ds was k dd was taught k also inside of pre-k. This year i taught them both 1st. For both years we used a curriculum. They learned reading, math, language arts, spelling, sign language, writing skills, history, science and bible lessons. I do not grade them yet but i do correct work and have them fix any mistakes that were made. We have story time and hands on projects and color papers.

Thank you for answering!  How awesome that you can teach your children at the same level!   My two guys are one year apart (to the day) but in schooling are on different levels.  Maybe one day I will be able to get them on the same level.   

We enjoy the library a lot and go to story time every thursday along with tons of reading here at home.  We love books!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:10 AM

For my first grader this year, we are doing a math curriculum, the rest we are more or less "unschooling" or learning through play. I will have a checklist of what we need to get accomplished during the day. As long as it's all done at the end.....

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Kaylon
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Quoting MedicMommy:

For my first grader this year, we are doing a math curriculum, the rest we are more or less "unschooling" or learning through play. I will have a checklist of what we need to get accomplished during the day. As long as it's all done at the end.....

Thanks for replying!  :-)  I am still searching different things out.  A lot of moms have given me great advice!

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Quoting Kaylon:

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Cant answer much but I will say there will be no grades.. Since as a homeschooler we are not on a strict timeline & dont have to move on until the child knows the material. So naturally any grades would be A+   ;-)

Thank you for answering.  I appreciate it!  I understand where you are coming from with grading.  Yay for A's and mom and dads that help them get the A's.  Seeing the light bulb pop on makes all bad days, simply wonderful! 

I guess I will change my answer a bit, since DD is turning 5 in October I kinda consider her a "PreK-K" so we are starting lightly with "Kindergarten" this year. We will start next week, so i dont know how well it will go, but up until now we have just played it by ear. Read books, do crafts, library time, trips to zoo  & whatever interested her at the time.

Next week I plan on starting with "Ordinary Parents Guide to Teach Reading" & with that teach her cursive. For math we will use Math-U-See (im most excited about this!), and Weekly Bible Lessons that teach about the stories of the bible & character (respect/kindness)(abcjesuslovesme.com --  i  just used the bible portion). We will continue to read for fun & do arts/crafts (some are included with the bible lessons).

We will start playing card games/board games as part of our schedule so it will happen more frequently.  Id like to do an animal a week, learn about it & classify them. and maybe learn about self/community that is covered in Kindergarten...

We will have to find our balance though. For me its important to start "formal" lessons because this is the year we decide if homeschooling is right for us.. If we have a good year & I feel confident that I can teach effectively for my DD then we will homeschool.. But if I/ DH sees it is not going well, DD will be going to public school next fall for Kindergarten. So I am hoping & praying we have an awesome year!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Bump

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:30 AM
My daughter is going into first grade. She was in public k last year. We are basically following the Charlotte mason method, adding a little classical in. Here is what we are using:

Math: Saxon 1, moving on to 2 midway probably.
History: story of the world, ancients
Science: outdoor secrets, with the outdoor secrets companion for my guide
Nature study: using hours in the out of doors as a guide
Literature: using the reading list from www.simplycharlottemason.com, and doing narration
Reading: she will read books on her own about history, or other things we are studying at the time
Spelling: all about spelling level 1
Handwriting: handwriting without tears grade 1 printing book (we are halfway through, so will probably move to the next book or figure something else out)
Art: we will study one artist for a few weeks at a time, and she will also do art projects
Music: we will study one famous composer for several weeks, and we may sign up for piano but idk yet
Pe: other than daily activities, she wants to sign up for gymnastics at the YMCA
Hmmm. Did I miss anything?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

My DD went to public K last year. She brought home 7-12 worksheets a week. So here is my plan for first grade:

• lessonpathways.com for reading, math, history, maybe science
  • Ive been picking up those cute workbooks on math and reading at dollar tree to have some paper work. I think doing some paper work will help with its time for state mandated testing.
  • Also at $tree I found a writing book, it has lined paper with a box at the top for art. This is exactly what 1st grade needs, she will write stories and illistrate.
  • We are going to start spanish and cursive.
  • I have all her K site words on index cards we practice, will add too for 1st. I test her by just going through the cards and making 2 piles=she knows, didnt know.
  • I will also be testing by asking key questions of things we covered and teaching her key words 'who, what, when, where, why, how'.
  • COOP we are signed up for music, art, drama; i would like to find a piano teacher too.
  • That is about it-good luck.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)