Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cursive First

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

Has anyone used Cursive First? What do you think about it? My 4 year old is starting kindergaraten this year and she knows how to print fairly well. But she asked me the other day she wants to learn how to "wrinkle write" lol. So I wrote something in cursive and ask her if thats what she meant and she said "Yea! Like Chik Fli A!" hahaha so she's been asking me ever since but I have no idea how to teach her that! Any feedback would be great.

by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

I am considering it right now as well. My dd is 4.5yo she knows how to write all her letters & numbers very well "ball & stick" but Ive been reading in a homeschooling book (Homeschooling A Parents Guide to Teaching Children By: Samuel L Blumenfeld -- also write "Alpha-phonics) that learning to write cursive from the start is the way to go..( and teach ball & stick LATER ).. Ill try to list some of the things he says:

-transition from ball n stick to cursive is hard & it can be frustrating to kids. The way the hand is held for ball N stick is different than cursive. Also a muscular habit has developed for ball N stick -- which makes cursive harder for the child..

- By teaching ball N stick & then cursive it may cause hybrid writing -1/2 cursive, 1/2 ball N stick..

-Learning cursive first wont hurt reading as some may think. But help.. in cursive its easier to learn the difference in p, q & b, d & f, t..because in cursive they are wrote very different from one another-- the muscular reflexes make it easy to not confuse the letters.

- Cursive helps in spacing words/sentences properly. With ball N stick it can get hard to read what a child has wrote because their words are not spaced properly ( H  e llo ho  w ar e you).. but with cursive there is an easy start/stop with each word.

-Helps child to spell correctly since the hand acquired knowledge of spelling patters through repeated fluid hand movements. Like when a typist knows they have made an error before looking at the paper because of the irregular hand movement- one that just doesnt "feel right"

-In the book he says our grandparents had neat cursive handwriting because they where taught cursive first because penmenship was important back then.

So from reading all this I think next week when me & dd start school with "Ordinary Parents Guide to reading" we will start doing cursive as well.. I dont know if the grandparent thing he said is right, but i know my mom/grandparents had awesome handwriting but I figured that was from the teachers being more strict from the start.. I am a hybrid writer :-/ and was taught ball N stick first.. and what he says about spelling better with cursive makes total since. Im quick at typing & "feel" most of my mistakes like he says.. the fluid movements of writing makes since... :-) Cant wait to hear what some of the other ladies say!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Interesting... thanks for the info!  I have no feedback as we haven't tried this but would love to hear how it works out for your family!!! 

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM
Couldn't have said it any better

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

I am considering it right now as well. My dd is 4.5yo she knows how to write all her letters & numbers very well "ball & stick" but Ive been reading in a homeschooling book (Homeschooling A Parents Guide to Teaching Children By: Samuel L Blumenfeld -- also write "Alpha-phonics) that learning to write cursive from the start is the way to go..( and teach ball & stick LATER ).. Ill try to list some of the things he says:

-transition from ball n stick to cursive is hard & it can be frustrating to kids. The way the hand is held for ball N stick is different than cursive. Also a muscular habit has developed for ball N stick -- which makes cursive harder for the child..

- By teaching ball N stick & then cursive it may cause hybrid writing -1/2 cursive, 1/2 ball N stick..

-Learning cursive first wont hurt reading as some may think. But help.. in cursive its easier to learn the difference in p, q & b, d & f, t..because in cursive they are wrote very different from one another-- the muscular reflexes make it easy to not confuse the letters.

- Cursive helps in spacing words/sentences properly. With ball N stick it can get hard to read what a child has wrote because their words are not spaced properly ( H  e llo ho  w ar e you).. but with cursive there is an easy start/stop with each word.

-Helps child to spell correctly since the hand acquired knowledge of spelling patters through repeated fluid hand movements. Like when a typist knows they have made an error before looking at the paper because of the irregular hand movement- one that just doesnt "feel right"

-In the book he says our grandparents had neat cursive handwriting because they where taught cursive first because penmenship was important back then.

So from reading all this I think next week when me & dd start school with "Ordinary Parents Guide to reading" we will start doing cursive as well.. I dont know if the grandparent thing he said is right, but i know my mom/grandparents had awesome handwriting but I figured that was from the teachers being more strict from the start.. I am a hybrid writer :-/ and was taught ball N stick first.. and what he says about spelling better with cursive makes total since. Im quick at typing & "feel" most of my mistakes like he says.. the fluid movements of writing makes since... :-) Cant wait to hear what some of the other ladies say!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:02 PM

I have used it for all of my children (not that you'd call what my three year old does writing, but he likes to try).  I really like it.  In addition to all of the arguements for jumping straight in to cursive, here are some particulars I like about the program itself.

Simple: the instruction manual can be read in an afternoon

Clean: each lesson is a half page, just writing, no distracting graphics.

Orderly: teaches letters based on form clockface letters, loop letters, uphill stroke letters, hump letters

Practical: focuses on numbers and lowercase first, after all, most of what you write is lowercase.

The whole program consists of a guide, copyable practice sheets and 32 instruction cards.  That's it, and it works wonderfully.

Maridel
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Thanks so much for all the info!! I think I'm going to go for it, especially since she is showing an interest.

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM

I didn't use any type of curriculum for teaching cursive.  I just wrote it one letter at a time until he got that down and then I wrote words so that he could learn how to connect them.  Good luck whatever way you approach it.  :)

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Poking my head in on this post for future reference ( My little one isn't to that stage just yet )

06-07mom
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Interesting. We are starting writing now and my son is not doing so well. I should look into this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I always assumed I'd start teaching my kids cursive after they were reading well and proficient in manuscript handwriting. Interesting, I never considered starting it earlier, or 1st, for that matter.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:06 AM
Julia is so interested in cursive writing. We are halfway through hwot, I may consider doing cursive next :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)