Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Making A Change: Am I Bad Mother & Do You Still Consider Me....

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

part of the homeschooling community?

I am going to school full time, have a 6 1/2, 4 and 2 year old my oldest and youngest have environmental & food allergies respectively, I still have the house to take care of, I teach SS & Awana's, plus help out with MOPS at our church sooooo.....

I decided to go the route of K12 instead of doing it myself because I honestly don't have the time to plan everything out and I don't want to over extend myself and be no good to anyone!

Please don't think bad of me, am I a bad mother for giving in and letting the state plan it out for me? I really didn't want to hurt more than I was helping but sending him back to PS isn't an option, but if I try to plan everything out someone is going to suffer and its probably going to be my school & then what was the point?

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Hey, don't beat yourself up......lots of people use K12. You don't want your school to suffer...I'm getting ready to try to get a grant to start online classes myself. Do what you believe to be best for your family.  No, you are in no way a bad mother. Good luck!

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM

No, you are NOT a bad mother! And yes, you are still part of us :)

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM
You are a terrible mom!!! Just kidding. Of course your not a bad mom. You are doing what is right for your family and to help your girls more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I would have cut back on the outside teaching (SS, Awanas, etc) rather than go with public cyber school, but that just makes me, me.  You have to do what's best for your family, and no, you are not a bad mother.

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I don't have nearly that much stuff going on in my life and yet I'm looking around online for where I can get an account and have my son learn stuff off their website instead of me making up his schooling material.  Does that make me a bad mother??  I don't think so.  You are still schooling at home so you are still a homeschooler and NO you are NOT a bad mother, you are just a busy one!!  LOL

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Aboslutely NOT!  That does not make you a bad mother and YES you are still a part of the homeschooling community.  I've done virtual school before with my oldest and we still did with homeschoolers, etc.  Even though everything is planned out and you have teachers to converse with you still will be the primary teacher/coach!  I wish you luck and it will be a good experience! :)  <hugs>

KDBeckham
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

See, I thought about that but I knew we needed the interaction. I prayed about teaching before I ever ventured into the idea and being a religious person I couldn't ignore the call to follow. I also feel that right now & as a new homeschooling family having a set curriculum and plan will give me a bit of ease to feel more sure of what he is learning. We will reassess at the end of the year and see where we need to go from there.

Quoting cedailey:

I would have cut back on the outside teaching (SS, Awanas, etc) rather than go with public cyber school, but that just makes me, me.  You have to do what's best for your family, and no, you are not a bad mother.

Simply Southern Homeschool ~ "Where Learning Begins"

maggiemom2000
by Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:44 PM
What is important is that you do what works best for you and your family. You are still homeschooling. While K12 did not work for me and my family, I have a friend who has used it for years and loves it.
biblewomen
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM

never let the enemy beat you up..it is a personal decision.  Whatever you do always be lead by peace..I have found that the enemy lead most of the time with unrest and God is different ..so go with your peace..

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Hey...we all do what's best for our kids and ourselves and our families...you're all good. 

It's when you can't look at all the circumstances and see where you'd get overloaded....THAT'S when the problems start! LOL

You're all good, mama...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN