Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who does Nature Study as part of their homeschooling?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

just wondering who includes nature study in there homeschooling

and what do you do?

favorite site?

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Me me me! We are using hours in the out of doors as a guide on how to, and then another book for our science which is also nature study really.
Www.simplycharlottemason.com has good tips on nature study
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto2gr8ones
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM

We study nature if that is what you mean but we don't use a curriculum for it.  My son will find an interested bug or something and we will hunt it down online and learn about it.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

We don't use a particular curriculum for it but the kids are always watching movies about nature and outside studying and playing with some new bug, etc.  :) 

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

This. And 4-H

Quoting mommyto2gr8ones:

We study nature if that is what you mean but we don't use a curriculum for it.  My son will find an interested bug or something and we will hunt it down online and learn about it.

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

cedailey
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

We do nature study, the kids have notebooks to draw and write in, and we have some field guides, and for the little ones a few books like the Burgess Bird Book For Children ( and his animal one too)

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:44 PM
We have nature studies as they come up in our science studies. When we studied rocks, we went camping in Ark for a few days in the mtbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:53 PM
Oops... Mountains and identified different rock formations and types of rocks. When studying plants, we went on a hike and gathered leaves and made a booklet identifying the type and characteristics of each. We also took pics of all the wild flowers and made a booklet with the pics identifying each flower and its characteristics. When studying insects, we went to a local state park and took close-up pics of every insect we found and made an identification book with those. Just a few examples, but after learning about such things, nature studies bring the learning to life. It also helps them to retain what they have learned. I love homeschooling!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM
We do lots of hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and assorted outdoor stuff. We live early close to Yosemite, and go there a few times a year. During all of that we study and learn about the nature around us.

We live in a National Forest and get lots of opportunity to see wildlife. We have a great guidebook for our local area and the kids love to look up different animals and plants that we see.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM
We do boy andgirl scouts. We use all thenature ectivitis in their books along with whatever interests themas we are out and about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by Member on Jul. 23, 2011 at 8:01 PM

going to start back up in our nature journals next week.  I am planning a Charlotte Mason year!  This is the book I am using for inspiration...

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 5 and 8 and a 2yr old girl.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)