Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Who does Nature Study as part of their homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

just wondering who includes nature study in there homeschooling

and what do you do?

favorite site?

by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Replies (11-18):
SouthernMama08
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM

We do!  We celebrate Earth Day, and we always talk about the world around us, and why we have to clean it up.  And we study the elements and tons of 'other' things.  And once my son is old enough he'll be put into 4H.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Fall is such a good time for a nature study!

Mom71307
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Yeah... sort of. Mine are just 4 and 2 and so we just talk about nature, etc while we are outside. We take nature walks down the street and collect things we want to know more about then look them up online...

boomom1973
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 4:58 PM

We have studied plant growth, while growing our garden. We did a project on the ecology of a freshwater pond. We did a collection of sea shells, and classified them. Yesterday, we explored the yard after the rain and measured the water in different areas of the yard.

The kids love it and have been helping out with the garden and the compost, etc..

DelightfullyMad
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Nature study IS our day. It's not a conscious thing we have to do. We live in nature, live outside. We have farm animals, a large plot of land with woods and water, the beach is 5 minutes walk away, and a large provincial park nearby.

Girl guides for my oldest also add a little more structured and organised social programme to it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 30, 2011 at 9:28 PM
That sounds so lovely!

Quoting DelightfullyMad:

Nature study IS our day. It's not a conscious thing we have to do. We live in nature, live outside. We have farm animals, a large plot of land with woods and water, the beach is 5 minutes walk away, and a large provincial park nearby.

Girl guides for my oldest also add a little more structured and organised social programme to it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Sep. 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM

We do nature things. But I kind of wing it. use books we already have etc... Oh and lots of nature crafts.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:35 AM

We like to do nature journaling.  We are also studying botany this year.  We are planning on doing the program called botany for your plate.  We raise chickens, guineas, ducks, and peafowl so we have plenty to study.  My kids right now are studying trees in co-op and in the spring they will be doing a plant study again.  My youngest loves studying nature.  He collects things all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)