Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone in here go by the Charlotte mason or classical method?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM
  • 8 Replies
Just wondering :)

If so, how long have you been doing it? What is your favorite/least favorite thing (if any) about that method? What do you find to be most enjoyable and most challenging? Do you feel it is working for your family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM

only bits and pieces of charlotte masons way

we use living books to learn with

narration

music- listening to different composers

we do copywork

dictation for spelling, most of the time!

lots of outdoors stuff-  nature study

we do short lessons, a bit longer now that they are older

for math we use manipulatives to learn with, seeing helps so much

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:39 AM
We don't...bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cedailey
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I use Charlotte Mason.  I like the short lessons, and the living books, and the emphasis on doing things, not just reading facts.

As for classical style, that would not fit our family at all.  I've never been interested in using any of the classical curricula.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM

When I started hearing about Classical Education I thought...NOPE!  LOL  And we're really not much for classical now, but for example, Story of the World - Ancients is a classical curriculum, but it pretty much fits CM style as well.  English for the thoughtful Child (grammar) is classical, and Saxon fits the classical method more than CM I think, however it can be used with both.  The rest of my curriculum is mainly CM I guess.  But I am kind of just staying open minded.  I don't want to corner myself into feeling like I *have* to do things a certain way (not that you do, that is just what I tend to do).  

Quoting cedailey:

I use Charlotte Mason.  I like the short lessons, and the living books, and the emphasis on doing things, not just reading facts.

As for classical style, that would not fit our family at all.  I've never been interested in using any of the classical curricula.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:25 AM

I should read up more on this style...I'll add it to my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist, lol :)

Lynette
by Member on Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:36 AM

I have always been drawn to it.  Tomorrow I am going to a local homeschool mom's house to view a  seminar on it that she bought the DVD's from.  This year the plan is CM!

Lynette
by Member on Jul. 23, 2011 at 5:56 PM

okay so the seminar was AWSOME!  Anyway we did talk about the differences between Classical and CM.  CM is about teaches kids to love learning, not just memorize.  It made sense.  Read up and see what you think of the too.  Both cover really the same stuff, the approach is just different.

Quoting Lynette:

I have always been drawn to it.  Tomorrow I am going to a local homeschool mom's house to view a  seminaron it that she bought the DVD's from.  This year the plan is CM!

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 5 and 8 and a 2yr old girl.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I don't but love to read others posts and get new ideas!!!  Thanks Ladies!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)