Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

missing out.

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm so excited to homeschool my 11mo old daughter. She's our only child so all of her firsts are like our firsts. Its so fun watching her learn and do things for the first time. I want her to have a fun childhood like I had.

What I'm worried about is the things I enjoyed that she never will experience if she doesn't go to a public school. She won't ever really need a lunch box. How much fun was it to get a new lunchbox when you were a kid! Oh and when I was in 7th grade I got a locker for the first time. I loved having a locker, I was ocd about it and always had it very organized with all kinds of locker accessories. I had a shelf and mirror and a magnetic pencil holder and dry erase board.

Its just simple things really, but I just want her to enjoy life as much as possible and not feel like she ever missed out. How do you deal with this type of thing?

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM

my kids both get a backpack n lunchbox every year. we take them on trips to the drs, parks, etc.

oredeb
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:51 PM

you could buy her a lunch pail every year and put her lunch in it!  then have a picnic somewhere in the house or outside

you could buy her a locker for her room and let her keep her stuff in it when shes older.

also

what she dont know she wont miss out on!

victoriaherring
by Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I thought about that too, but I think when she gets older she will see so much on tv. Most tv shows with kids school age focus on public schools.

Quoting oredeb:

you could buy her a lunch pail every year and put her lunch in it!  then have a picnic somewhere in the house or outside

you could buy her a locker for her room and let her keep her stuff in it when shes older.

also

what she dont know she wont miss out on!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM
She doesn't gave to miss out on anything good! Buy her a lunch box for field trips or days u need to run errands. (also rids the temptation of getting fast food) You can even purchase a locker for her to keep her schoolbooks in. She can decorate it at home. It wouldn't take up much room. PB Teen sells them, but it's an expensive store. I'm sure u could google or go to eBay and find it cheaper or used. With a little imagination or creativity, u can recreate all the good things. The great part is that she's missing out on all the bad things--peer pressure, boring classes, exposure to unacceptable things, etc. What u r providing for her trumps anything she may miss out on. Not only that, but she will reap the benefits from homeschooling that all those public school kids are missing out on. She is a blessed and fortunate child because of ur loving and generous decision!!! Don't look back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM

my kids are all grown now, and they were homeschooled all the way thru and they didnt miss any of that stuff, (they still thank me for homeschooling them)!hahaha but they didnt much tv either! so toss the tv!hahahahahah just joking! i guess as she gets older you'll deal with it! hey maybe theres some homeschool group that has stuff like that? or something else, do you have a city bus? take the city bus to places and pack a lunch!

Quoting victoriaherring:

I thought about that too, but I think when she gets older she will see so much on tv. Most tv shows with kids school age focus on public schools.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Why won't she need a lunchbox? You don't plan on ever going to the park or anywhere for a picnic?

She can be OCD about the stuff in her room. Lots of schools are doing away with lockers or having kids share two or three to a locker. Doesn't sound much fun to me.

I find it interesting that the things you mentioned as the fun parts of growing up are a lunchbox and a locker.
victoriaherring
by Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Thats just what came to my mind when I was typing. Other things are like pep rallies and homecoming. I guess not everyone saw these as fun, but I liked it. I was the weird kid that had some school spirit. I enjoyed my locker. I had the same one all the way through high school, and passed it down to my friend who started high school after I graduated.

I will probably end up getting her a lunch box for outings, and if she ever asks, or if I see a really cute one thats cheap I'll get her a locker.

Quoting misselphaba:

Why won't she need a lunchbox? You don't plan on ever going to the park or anywhere for a picnic?

She can be OCD about the stuff in her room. Lots of schools are doing away with lockers or having kids share two or three to a locker. Doesn't sound much fun to me.

I find it interesting that the things you mentioned as the fun parts of growing up are a lunchbox and a locker.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Some co-ops have proms and events for homeschool kids. She wouldn't be missing out that way. 

countjb
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:40 PM

There are other things you can do because you homeschool. What about pajama day, field trips with other homeschoolers, doing some of your work at the library, in the yard, or in a park. There are all sorts of things that you can do as a homeschooler that you can't do when you attend public school. You can however, still buy those back to school items, a back pack if you want to work away from home, and a lunch box if you want to plan lunch in a park.

mommyto2gr8ones
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

I agree that there are groups out there that actually plan proms and graduations and everything just like a normal high school.  We have one local that does that.  They even have groups for the teens like extracurricular stuff you would find in school.  And I see that someone suggested already that you buy her a lunchbox and locker anyways. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)