Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm so excited to homeschool my 11mo old daughter. She's our only child so all of her firsts are like our firsts. Its so fun watching her learn and do things for the first time. I want her to have a fun childhood like I had.

What I'm worried about is the things I enjoyed that she never will experience if she doesn't go to a public school. She won't ever really need a lunch box. How much fun was it to get a new lunchbox when you were a kid! Oh and when I was in 7th grade I got a locker for the first time. I loved having a locker, I was ocd about it and always had it very organized with all kinds of locker accessories. I had a shelf and mirror and a magnetic pencil holder and dry erase board.

Its just simple things really, but I just want her to enjoy life as much as possible and not feel like she ever missed out. How do you deal with this type of thing?

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM
Replies (11-17):
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM
You r certainly not weird. I was on the pep squad and loved going to the football games. I married my high school sweetheart who was the Star of the football team. It wasn't all bad! I'm just saying to focus on all the many positive aspects of homeschooling which far outweigh the few fun things about public school. And do remember that it's not the same as when we went to school. Things are changing year by year for the worse. Instead, start planning your school year to provide for fun events. We have a local homeschool organization that plans a park day, a field trip say, a skate day, a bowling day, and a family fellowship evening for each month. We have homeschool sports teams such as baseball, basketball, and soccer. We have homeschool clubs such as 4-H, chess, drama, dance, art, Keepers at Home/Contenders for the Faith, book club, etc. We also have a co-op. Actually, if we participated in all the activities, we wouldn't get enough schooling done--Lol. Use curriculum with, or plan ur own, hands-on learning activities. With a little thought and planning, she'll enjoy learning as a homeschooler so much that she won't even care about what she may be "missing." But, I say this with respect and encouragement, you need to let go of those thoughts and focus on all the positive and wonderful experiences you can provide for her while also providing her with a better quality education. YOU ARE MAKING THE RIGHT CHOICE! Trust in yourself and the important decision which you gave made. Neither she or you will regret it!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Forgive all the typos. We're camping, and I'm using my phone to send this. Thx.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hailnbray
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM

i posted earlier from my phone but it must not have worked. ur looking at what ur child is missing out on by being home but u dont see what public school kids are missing out on by going to school. my daughter loves to tell people how she went to the park to play or slept in while other kids woke up early. shes done with school before her friends are, she gets to pick the order of her subjects, take longer breaks, go more places.

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM

She may miss out on some things but she will be getting so much more quality time with you. That's MUCH more imporatant that having a locker.

betty in Ky

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Hmmm...I agree with getting a lunchbox and then she can have her "space" which will be like her locker. Done.

I getcha when it comes to pep rallies, dances, homecoming (we're in TX, so I get that) and we DO all of that! I'll take DS to the high school pep rallies. He goes to the public school dances (he's really sporty so most of his friends on the teams are in ps), we go to all the friday night football games where he hangs out with the other kids...

I'm an "odd" one in that we do A LOT with public school kids. He's even going on the 8th grade Washington DC trip with the public school kids. He's the only homeschooler going. He'll also be going on a Costa Rica trip for Spanish with his homeschool Spanish class. Diversity is good. He gets to see the good and bad of a couple of different schooling ways. It totally works for us! It doesn't ALWAYS have to be "all" or "nothing". It depends on you, your child, etc. Do what's best for YOU GUYS!

cedailey
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM

My kids have backpacks for when we do school in other places and to keep their notebooks, pencils, etc in.  And they have lunchboxes, we use them for park day, field trips, and the library's monthly Brown Bag Movie event.  They also have milk crate "cubbies" in the schoolroom.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I used to worry about my kids missing out.... but more on things like prom, dances, football games, etc... but honestly we do sooooo many things that they never would get to do if in school that I don't even worry about it anymore.  We go to the lake during the week when its super quiet and basically just us... they've gotten to swim with huge turtles, feed them... check out the dolphins at the beach, and all of the field trips that we were rushed on in school they get to take their time with.  Just some examples!  The lake here is so packed on the weekends, they would have never had such a cool experience as that.  Or same with the dolphins in the Ocean, etc.  I think if the focus stays elsewhere it won't even be a a big deal.  :)  Btw we still buy backpacks for other trips and lunch boxes because we do co-op groups :)  <hugs>

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN