Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

story telling and fibbing

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM
  • 5 Replies

Help!!! My 5 year old is lieing and she makes up stories on the spot, good believable ones too, what can i do ?

by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MommaChell
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM

We have a strict and effective discipline system for dishonesty in our house. We've been fortunate enough that lying rarely occurs and I believe it has a lot to do with us getting a good handle on it early. Honesty is always rewarded in our house. You can personal message me if you'd like my input, I'd be happy to help if I can. My best advice is to remember not to corner your child verbally and put her in a position where she'll be inclined to lie. 

MedicMommy
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 8:06 AM

We have a big problem with it too. It's not lying to get out of trouble, it's making up stories. They are super creative, and there's times *I* doubt what's going on, even though I know better. I will ask him "Wyatt, is that the truth, or are you telling a story". He fesses up then (Because there are consequences when he doesn't) 

I just don't want him telling believable stories to other people. I also don't want to discourage his creativity. This is our biggest issue atm

Follow me on my learning how to be not so mainstream, homeschooling, dealing with infertility blog!
http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Feel free to throw coffee at me if I'm grumpy :)

Melissa6705
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM
Brooklyn went through this but told a big lie...once it came out she got in trouble and now tells the truth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM

If they are great story tellers, i would put that to use and have them write a story for school work.... not necessarily for punishment, but to develop that in them.

We have gone through the lies too, they go in stages. We just inform them I know they are not being honest and they can stop talking  until they are ready to speak the truth.

Also we are Christians and I remind them about the Commandments and how God knows what is happening.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Quoting mom2queenie2004:

If they are great story tellers, i would put that to use and have them write a story for school work.... not necessarily for punishment, but to develop that in them.

We have gone through the lies too, they go in stages. We just inform them I know they are not being honest and they can stop talking  until they are ready to speak the truth.

Also we are Christians and I remind them about the Commandments and how God knows what is happening.

I love the idea of putting thier creativity to MUCH better use in writing stories. As for the pink quotes, hahahaha, that is great stuff!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)