Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What kind of playdates have you hosted/attended?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM
  • 12 Replies

I'm not experienced in the world of playdates. I was wondering what to expect at such events and how to be creative and fun while hosting one. I've got some good ideas and I was wondering what some of your experiences have been. What's the funnest playdate you and yours have been to?

by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Never done one. I need to branch out and try it though, I know my kids would love it. 

TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM

I've hosted regular just play, play-dates, bubble science playdates, Chinese New Year playdates (the kids made and ate Chinese food and then created their own paper lanterns), Nature study playdates, arts and crafts playdates...we always have fun, so I'm not sure what the best one actually was.

oredeb
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

never planned or been to one

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Oh wow..I love this stuff!!!! I used to run a moms group, then a homeschooling group, now I'm just a member of one. 

There are so many things you can do.  You can just meet at the park or meet for field trips or just schedule one at your house.  Have everyone bring a dish, hang out, the kids usually do well entertaining each other and moms are actually are able to sit and chat!  if the weather permits, I always chose outside stuff to avoid the mess inside.  LOL   Are you considering starting a group?  Joining one???  :) 

MommaChell
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Quoting AbundanceMagnet:

Oh wow..I love this stuff!!!! I used to run a moms group, then a homeschooling group, now I'm just a member of one. 

There are so many things you can do.  You can just meet at the park or meet for field trips or just schedule one at your house.  Have everyone bring a dish, hang out, the kids usually do well entertaining each other and moms are actually are able to sit and chat!  if the weather permits, I always chose outside stuff to avoid the mess inside.  LOL   Are you considering starting a group?  Joining one???  :) 

I'm considering joining one, but I've been a little intimidated, 1. due to how busy I am and if I'd be able to keep up with my commitment, and 2. because I don't know much about it. I was part of a play-date group for a very short time before I had my last baby, then we moved. I only attended 2 events. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it much; most the moms had infants under a year or kids 7+. We were an odd fit and the ladies were not warm welcoming. I don't like the negative experience impacting my decision to try again- boo on that!

MommaChell
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I've hosted regular just play, play-dates, bubble science playdates, Chinese New Year playdates (the kids made and ate Chinese food and then created their own paper lanterns), Nature study playdates, arts and crafts playdates...we always have fun, so I'm not sure what the best one actually was.

What fun! I'd love to host some PK friendly themed play-dates. Know any good resources for ideas and how-to's?

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Again, my children are older (9 1/2 and 13), so I don't have to provide the entertainment.  I do always have snacks or drinks.  Last playdate, we made homemade pizza for lunch.  Kids usually swim or play board games.  Sometimes we meet in the park and the kiddos ride bicycles, or we go on hikes.  Sometimes they play outside games like badminton, horseshoes, washers, volleyball, etc.  My son (9 1/2) also has a huge treehouse which they enjoy hanging out in.  The boys that age still do a lot of creative play.

We also belong to Christian clubs through Keepers of the Faith called Contenders for the Faith and Keepers of the Home.  We meet once per month alternating homes.  The men learn "manly skills" and the women learn "womanly skills."  We do our hands on lesson and craft or whatever, then we have snacks and play time for the kiddos and visiting time for the parents.  We love this group!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM

I have hosted but not for a ton of people... I usually just set it up for like either 10ish in the morning or 2ish in the afternoon at our house and then have things like juice/coffee/tea and kid friendly snacks available.... then have toys, games, movies, etc whatever is fun for that appropriate age-group. 

Mom2Kaylie
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I let my pre K to 1st grader decide what they want to do along with their friends.  I usually guide them to ask their friend about what they would like to do to be  a good host.  Playdough is available, outside play, snacks available, bubbles, legos, art center is out and stocked, I might place a basket of toys in the room in an obvious spot.  I think it's good for them to discuss and figure out what they want to do and navigate the social encounter on their own as much as possible.  Free play is important and fun.  Maybe they feel like being active or crafty or just make goofy faces at each other only they will know at that particular time and day.

Kids tell me they love being at my house when I ask them why is that they have told me that it is because they are able to do what they want here.  but one added well anything but like hurt someone or break something but we don't want to do that anyways. :)

TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 6:09 AM

I just kind of went with whatever we were learning about at the time, really. I used calendars from preschoolexpress.com to guide things occasionally, and I had a website that listed themes (I don't remember what it was, now), but I would organize things around it: the snack, the activity, and allow for some playtime. I'll check the links on my desktop (on my laptop now), and post back when I can. We've even made playdates out of field trips, with scavenger hunts and the whole big deal.

It took me awhile to find a good fit with playgroups, too. In fact, I participated in a few before I found one that really worked for me-and I met some of my best friends because of it. I even ended up running one or two groups, too. Sometimes it takes awhile. I am familiar with that awkward, not quite fitting feeling, and to me, that mean I needed to move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN