Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to this homeschool thing, please help me..

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
  • 17 Replies

I have three toddlers who are ready for preschool..and i just recently decided i wanted to home school them this year...i am going to use the A Beka cirriculum, but alot of that seems very advanced for preschoolers, I can choose what cirriculum i want to use, but i need to know from you moms that have tauht preschoolers, whats the general stuff they should be learning at this point. I'm assuming colors, numbers, letters, days of the week and months, learning their name and to write their name, is that basically it or is there more i need to get cirriculum for? any help would be greatly appriciated.

by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

well you dont need a curr to teach toddlers, how old are your children??

heres a neat site for some ideas of what to teach them http://montessorimom.com/toddler-scope-and-sequence-lesson-ideas-practical-/

theres a page in here that will help, gotta scroll thru and find them, they have 2,3,4,5 http://www.southunioncc.com/Parent%20handbook.pdf

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I never used any "curriculum" with any of my children until they were age 6 or so.  When they were toddlers I just let them be kids :)  They learn all they need through you playing with them, doing puzzles, coloring, reading, etc..  There are a some good educational type games for little ones that would be fun too. Don't push. Just have fun with your children!  I have been home educating for many years and have already graduated all but one of mine.  Congratulations on deciding to home educate. I honestly is the best for your children both academically and every other way :)

oklahomamommy22
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM

my kids are 3..almost 4, 4, and 4, lol...the problem is im running into cirriculum that seems way to advanced, like reading and writing...i know they arent ready for that yet...i was looking more into days of the week, months, weather, counting, alphabet, crafts, colors, ect...im wondering if thats too little though.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I have a 2.5 year old and I've been trying to decide to use a curriculum or not. I think I've decided not to use one for preschool. there are so many free online resorces out there. I am currently doing my own "tot school" with her and she loves it.

Garage sales will be your best friend. I've found lacing beads, counting bears, puzzles and teaching books for REALLY CHEAP prices. 

Here are a few websites that I use for ideas and such:

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/

http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/

http://www.childcareland.com/teach.html

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM

You're on the right track...

Weather, Days of the Week, Colors, Shapes, Numbers, Alphabet, Their name phone number and address,Directional words.... Arts and crafts, games, puzzles and tons of reading.

My blog

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I did not homeschool my boys for pre-school or kinder. But, if I were going to I would love to use Winter Promise's "I'm ready to learn" package. It looks like so much fun and they have a free sample on their website.

I have heard a lot of good things about Sonlight's pre-school core also.

And, just like many of the ladies have said, their are a vast number of freebies out their that would get the job done as well. I like Donna Young's site for hanwritting paper printouts, sorting cards for alphabet games, and quite a few other useful resources.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I agree with the other posters... you are on the right track!  At this age all you need are some books... read to them... draw with them, hands on fun things!  You will be amazed what they learn just from that! :)  <hugs> and WELCOME to homeschooling!!! 

Maridel
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Yea you don't need anything set in stone for preschool, i tried that every year but my daughter would learn so much faster by just daily life. I use hubbardscupboard.org for bible stories and fun crafts since I lack in the creative department and my kids LOVE crafts. Other than that, yea teach them letter sounds, I did this with the foam letters in the bathtub. Teach them counting just by counting things around the house, fingers and toes! Colors and shapes with coloring books and puzzles. I think puzzles are one of the best learning toys a homeschool mom could have. Problem solving is a much needed skill. If they are into it get a couple of tracing books from walmart, costco, sams, anywhere really and have them practice tracing letters. But workbooks don't work for all children. I bought a really cool kit from Costco called Preschool bootcamp a couple years ago. It had an ABC bingo game (that we still play), a colors game, 2 tracing books, and a few dry erase sheets for shapes and letters. You can really build your own pre-k lessons out of anything! At that age, everything is learning!! Which is why its my favorite time to teach!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Remember that curriculum is a tool, not a master.  If you already have A Beka, then use the parts with which you feel comfortable.  I think the Numbers and Letters books they have will be fine. 

At this age, I think the most important thing is getting them to enjoy "school time" and not think of it as something that they "have to do and get it over with."  This first year of homeschooling, which by the way is the absolute best choice you can make, can determine their mind set for the next fourteen to eightteen years!!

You can use the books for some things, but use play.  Somethings as simple as legos (my son has always loved legos) can be such an educational toy.  Teach them their colors.  Teach them to count.  Teach them to make patterns.  Teach them to make shapes.  Just use your imagination and let them use theirs!

Go outside and write with sidewalk chalk.  Write their name or numbers, and let them trace and later write below yours.  Let them paint their shapes with water paint.  Let them paint a scene for seasons and months.

Sing!  We still make up songs to remember things (you know, like the alphabet song).  I find that when we repeat things as a song or to a beat, my children will remember it.  We also laugh together as we make up these silly songs which is so much fun!

Read to them!  Did I mention reading to them.  Let them sit around you on the couch or in your bed or on a blanket outside.  These years are about learning, but they are also about developing.  Developing character and relationships as well as minds.

Don't worry!  You can't mess up!  You know a capable 18 year-old who has not been educated can learn everything children normally learn in 12+ years of schooling in just one year.  It's true! Can't remember where I got that little gem of info, but it was from a reputable source.

Relax.  Enjoy your children.  Enjoy bonding with them.  Enjoy playing with them.  Enjoy developing them into the wonderful adults you want them to become.  Enjoy teaching them all aspects of life.  If your heart is in it, you will NOT fail! 

Congratulations! & Welcome!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Have you thought about Before Five in a Row? IT's awesome1

Betty in Ky

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN