Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to this homeschool thing, please help me..

I have three toddlers who are ready for preschool..and i just recently decided i wanted to home school them this year...i am going to use the A Beka cirriculum, but alot of that seems very advanced for preschoolers, I can choose what cirriculum i want to use, but i need to know from you moms that have tauht preschoolers, whats the general stuff they should be learning at this point. I'm assuming colors, numbers, letters, days of the week and months, learning their name and to write their name, is that basically it or is there more i need to get cirriculum for? any help would be greatly appriciated.

by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Replies (11-17):
WHITELIGHTJENNY
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Quoting bren_darlene:

I never used any "curriculum" with any of my children until they were age 6 or so.  When they were toddlers I just let them be kids :)  They learn all they need through you playing with them, doing puzzles, coloring, reading, etc..  There are a some good educational type games for little ones that would be fun too. Don't push. Just have fun with your children!  I have been home educating for many years and have already graduated all but one of mine.  Congratulations on deciding to home educate. I honestly is the best for your children both academically and every other way :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WHITELIGHTJENNY
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM
3 toddlers, wow u
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Oklahomamommy,  You wisely said, "allot of that seems very advanced for preschoolers"  It always amazes me the instinctive insight mothers have concerning their own children.

We use to have the best education in the world, now we are among the worst.  One of the things we did right was not to push our kids into formal education too fast.  There are things preschoolers can be taught, but do not repeat the mistakes of the current establishment that is failing our kids. Listen to your instincts.

Make learning fun and experiential, especially for the young ones. 

1.  As you go for walks sing the ABC song

2.coloring  with them prepares them for writing because it teaches them hand dexterity

3. Here is a fun way to teach young children  sequencing while on walks

4. While coloring with them, help them learn their colors.  You can also do that while traveling in the car or grocery shopping.

5.  Understanding different learning styles is also beneficial for educators.

Children are naturally eager to learn, and the important thing is to nurture that instinct rather than killing it as the current system does.  For many children (not all), workbooks are a disaster, and this is especially true for the young children. 

You will do just fine.

ToraMay
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:44 AM

When you go for walks play the color game, "The grass is green. The sky is blue. The clouds are white. That van is yellow." etc.

At one point and time Huggies had multiple activities based on what skills you wanted to teach what age of child. I'm not sure if they still do or not, but it'd be worth checking out.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I agree to this

Quoting luvthesoap:

Have you thought about Before Five in a Row? IT's awesome1

Betty in Ky

MommaChell
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I have a 1yr, 3yr, and 4yr that I homeschool. You've got a lot of good advice here. I'll add that one of the main currics we use is ABCJesusLovesMe.com (it's FREE) and a great resource. It has curriculum for 2yrs-K. We've had a lot of fun with the Baby Signing Time and Signing Time Dvds as well as learning ASL for our Bible and academic songs. The kids enjoy it and it helps them memorize, plus they are learning a new language an developing motor skills! It also helps ease the frustrations of communication for little ones. 

smalltownmom03
by Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 12:28 AM

We just bought workbooks from wal-mart and Dollar General, and we used worksheets off of the internet. the whole thing can be done with just worksheets off the internet. Just google free preschool printable worksheets and a ton of sites will come up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)