Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you have left to do to get "ready for school" if you haven't started already?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm trying not to panic.  :)  We are tentatively starting August 29th or 30th, and I have what curriculum we are using.  Mainly, I just need to go through everything and get a feel for it.  I also want to finish making my planner in the near future!  LOL  

Another thing that will help put my mind at ease is making a list of the library books we will need, and when.  

Oh, and I still have to file with the state!  Hehee  Guess I should get on that, huh?

The rest is just organizing.  I need to clean out the closet, I'm almost done with my desk, and the girls desks.  I'm designing my own planner (even making the forms - yes, yes I am crazy).  

And, it wouldn't be terrible if I could focus on potty training my 2 year old before school starts.  

I keep reminding myself that we can do school anytime, anywhere, with whatever we have available.  So if all this stuff doesn't get done (minus the filing with the state) it will be fine.  But you know, type a, planner types :)

Sorry about the font changes.  CM likes to mess with me ;)

What do you need to do to "feel ready"?

by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
ElectraSpy
by on Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM
Got to hit the supply sales! And would like a better planner method.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
buzymom93
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM

ugh.. i am still buying his curriculum..  i have most of my supplies, but still need printer ink. I haven't planned out what our days will attempt to look like either yet and really like to do that.. wish i could find some forms to help with scheduling..  I am hoping to start school at the end of august or first part of september depending on if i can get all his curriculum together.. 

I am feeling quite disorganized this summer... time to get on the ball.. lol

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, animal loving boys... Mario, 18yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

cedailey
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Not much.  I have my binder (schedules, scope and sequences, book lists) and my weekly routine.  I have all but one book and it's on the way. I have a list and schedule of library/ILL materials with dates.  I have everything set up in my preferred tracking program (Homeschool Skedtrack). 

I need to clean off the school table, buy science experiment materials (though that's all year, I get them as we need them) and I need mor ink for the printer.

Michelle914
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Hey AbundanceMagnet,

I totally get what you are saying!  I was reading the replies about being ready for the first 4 - 5 weeks and I started getting nervous!  Last year was my first year home schooling and we just went through books.  Not much planning involved, just did what was in the books!  I thought I'd do the same this year, but I agree, I'm now stressing that I'm not stressing more!  Go Figure!

luvthesoap
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I've got all the books & materilas bought. The only thing I need to get is a new printer. AFter I bought a new toner for my laser printer, the drum went out! So now it's just a big paperweight! I only need a black N whiter printer, but since I print so much, I HAVE TO get a laser printer.Staples have them on sale, so I will get one this weenend when MY DH gets paid. \Betty in KY

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM

I am just starting to get ready since we just decided we are doing it.  I wrote the letter to the public school system but havent mailed it yet.  I also signed up for the umbrella school we will be using, but I Need to email them the physical/immunization forms.  THEN I have to figure out curriculum, which I am slowly working on.  This all takes a lot of time!!  :)

pamr95
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM

We are all set. I have selected a start date for us of Aug. 22. That gives us time to finish up summer stuff and have a week to relax before we start up the school year.  

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM

All I need is to get my kids home.  lol    The children always go back east each summer to visit a lot of our married children. They will be coming home in Aug.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Nothing, really.  I am just waiting the three days after painting my table so I can let the kids loose with chalk.  I'm excited to see what stuff they come up with.

Oh, I'm going to order 24 of the books from the "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists/Composers/Inventors & Scientists" on Friday.  I'm pretty excited.  I think the kids will be excited too.  I'm ordering them for me, but I'm hoping they want to join in on the learning too.  I'm pretty sure they will, but you never know.  LOL 

I think that's about it.  Although, my daughter has been asking for letter schoolwork and more activities (we do some Montessori activities sometimes when she wants to), so I'll probably have to set her up with that stuff. 

I guess I need to pick up some glue and such when they go on super duper cheap sale. 

I don't know!  We don't really *do* school, so there's not a whole lot I can plan for. 

I do need to make my daughter's outfit for her first day of Options.  She's chosen some ladybug fabric for a skirt and a black t-shirt with a band of the ladybug fabric around the chest.  Should probably get that started!!

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I'm still waiting on a few books to come in.  I need to buy a few supplies for notebooking.  I'm sure I'll have forgotten something when we get started on August 1, but we'll deal with it at the time-lol.

After this post, I am going to organize my school room and put all the new books on shelves, etc.  I wanted to repaint this summer, but that never happened!  Oh well, we have done a lot of fun things! And I've gotten several other projects done!

I feel so blessed to live this homeschool life!  It's all good!!!!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)