Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten Math

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM
  • 4 Replies

I'm starting Kindergarten with DD this year and we are having a lot of fun getting things together. But I don't know what to use for Math. Of all subjects, to me, Math is one that I'd really like to give her a strong foundation with, but don't want to spend $150 + on a curriculum. I don't like the concept of Math U See, cause I don't like tv to be school. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I was have cusinaire rods, and I have a book to use with it but its for first grade (though looking through it she could probably do most of the stuff, I just don't want to push her) so I was looking for a book that went with that and found "The Idea Book for Cuisenaire Rods". Anyone have experience with that? I also found "Mathematical Reasoning - A Kindergarten" but its $40 and don't want to spend the money unless I found some feedback for it. Let me know what you use and what works!

by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mynameismuerte
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 1:38 AM
We are using Singapore Math and like it. We went straight into 1A & skipped the K books (I think they're the early bird books but can't remember).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 7:06 AM

We use Singapore math as well. My dd likes it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 26, 2011 at 7:15 AM
We are using Saxon 1 for first grade, but it looks like the first half of it is review from kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Math-U-See isnt really your child learning from the tv. :-)

The DVD is a guide for the teacher to see how to teach all the material...so  your child doesnt have to watch it if you dont want them to (they do say you & child can watch together though)...

:-)

The 1 downside i seen to MUS -- When we called to order everything they tell you to get 2 sets of the manipulatives, so when the time comes your child can make the complete clock, and fill certain "houses" properly (cant remember what they said exactly lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN