Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Umbrella Schools

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello!

I am thinking of homeschooling my daughter for Kindergarten this year and am overwhelmed by all of the information out there.  One of the questions I have is about umbrella schools.  I live in Florida and wonder if umbrella schools are necessary or recommended?  Do they make the process easier?  I called a local umbrella school today with questions but haven't heard back yet.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Since I'm in Fl too I can soooo answer this one!   When you go through the county/state... you would submit a letter to your local school board stating you will be homeschooling and then at the end of the school year you would need to find a certified teacher to evaluate your child, write a letter saying they passed and submit it to the school board.  We did this the first 2yrs then I decided I just didn't want to bother with all of that mess.  Not that it was hard, it really is an easy process compared to some states... but anyways... So we went with an Umbrella School.  Alternative Choices in Education Academy.  We pay $25 for the first child, $15 for each extra child and all we have to do is submit attendance quarterly online.  I just like not having to feel stressed about dealing with the county.  If someone calls on us instead of having 15 days to sumbit all of our records we just simply hand them the proof we are enrolled in this school... and they don't bother us.  Under an umbrella school you are basically considered a private schooler :)  Hope that helps and I can give you the info on the school we use if you are interested, just PM ME :) 

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Yep I am in FL also (but just starting to homeschool in this state this year, but I know quite a few people and have done reasearch, and the previous poster is exactly right.  We are also going to go through an umbrella/private school and I am in the process of registering right now.  I actually have a question about it too though - my girls are 12 and 9 and haven't seen a DR for awhile because they haven't needed to but they are supposed to submit a form for a physical for the past year and immunization records.  It SAYS I can bypass this by saying "religious reasons" but I am wondering if anyone does this and if it's in trouble?  I'd LIKE to do it bcause my girls just dont need to go the Dr. right now. 

Thanks for any help!

wright1212
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM

All my HS friends here in TN go through umbrella schools. But I dont see why. It cost 30-$100 depeding on which one. Some require attendance, testing, and curriculum confirmation. I just went with independent with the school. All I have to do is turn in a paper saying we did 4hrs a day 180days this year.

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

njjlmomma
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Thank you so much for your quick replies!  I really appreciate the help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)