Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you....

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

get together with other homeschoolers? 

What kinds of things do you do with them?

by on Jul. 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyHippie
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:44 AM

We do:

Teen Classic Movie Night once a month

Teen Movie Night once a month

Astronomy Club once a month

Teen Book Club once a month

Science Lab every Monday during school year

Spanish twice a week during school year

Student council every two weeks. (he's the president)

Then field trips, parties, dances, etc.... So AT LEAST once a week there's something.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Never.   When I first began home educating back in the early '90's we were involved in our home school support groups. We did a lot of things with them. It was very helpful to me in the early years and the kids enjoyed the get togethers also. We finally got tired of all the going and quit going. Never started back.  We just get out and do things on our own. I haven't been in a group in so many years.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM
I wish. In Phoenix, we did once a week for pe and play time. I really miss that. Here, I cannot find others that can get together. I've tried sterting a group, but with my daughter being 10 and everyone else being under 7, its been difficult working out things. I cannot get to get togethers since I don't drive and I cannot get ahold of someone to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

We are still looking for groups nearby. I found one, but it looks like they only do stuff during the PS year, so they will not be starting up for another 3 weeks or so.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM

we are friends with other homeschool family so once a week or so we get together with one of them & do something. I learned very early on that some homeschool groups are no different then high school clicks & if you don't know someone in it already you aren't welcome to join.

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM

when the kids were younger we were memebers of a homeschool group back in the 80s, we did things with other homeschoolers sometimes once a week if we could afford to go skating, once a month for the field trip, for the spanish class once a week

some of us were friends outside of the group and we'd get together on fridays sometimes to play baseball, volleyball, picnic, or just hang out at someones home, go swimming in the river, camping, berry picking, babysitting each others kids

mom2ohio
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

me,never.I just started homeschooling my 2 young kids,but finding someone that wants to get together and do something is impossible.I just do things with my kids myself.

MommaChell
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM

No experience in this area for us yet, but I'm interested to read more from others.

smc0178
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM

During the school year, we get together once a week to hang out with other homeschooled kids.  Once a month we participate in 3 different museum classes.   Last school year, we did a homeschool class every Tuesday but we are not going to do that this time around.  We also, in the past, have done swim/gym days at the Y and that was every Monday and Friday.  We are taking a step back this year and not going to do so much stuff.  We will still do our weekly playdates, museum classes, but I am in the process of organizing a science experiment class at my house once a week with the friends that we hang out with once a week, it will also double as our playdate.

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM

There is a pretty involved homeschooling group in my area that my SIL is a part of and she is constantly doing things with them.  Since we just decided to start HS'ing I have only met 2 of the moms/kids... they seem really nice so I am hoping we will become friends with some of them because the social aspect of it is important to us/our kids.  And my girls both never really had a BEST friend in public school.. just some casual good friends that just weren't that much like them... so I am REALLY hoping they both make some good friends also in the group.  They have things like photo club, once a week park/beach days, teen nights, co-ops, holiday parties, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)