Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

does anyone not do the immunizations/physical for religious reasons?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM
  • 11 Replies

We are starting to homeschool this year, and I signed up for an umbrella/private school for them so we didnt have to register with the state ... but now we are supposed to either send in a recent physical/immunization form, OR just say we dont want to for religious reasons (write and sign it).  Well neither of mykids need a physical or immunizations right now so I really just feel like saying the "religious reasons" and not doing it....has anyone done this?  Is it ever a problem?  Or should I just bite the bullet and take them in? 

Thanks! 

by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maridel
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I don't vaccinate. You can get a form from the health department and claim religious exemption.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:14 PM
I don't vax either. In Ohio we are allowed a philosophical exemption (basically just saying we don't believe in vaccines or have some personal issues with them). As far as I have heard, not many people are given a hard time with the exemption forms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToraMay
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM

We don't vaccinate as well. We did not sign up for an umbrella/private school, we filed Chapter 13 (homeschooling for religious reasons) and the vaccination chart isn't necessary under Chapter 13.

You don't have to site which religion you are when you file religious reasons for not vaccinating. I know some have a problem with not vaccinating thier kids, but mostly it's a problem with doctors, not schools.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:57 AM

My children are not vaccinated either. The reason we don't is both religious/physical because we know it is dangerous stuff and the Lord said we are to take care of the body. I don't tell the state anything about it.

Liamoondancer
by Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM

We filed a simple form stating that we do not immunize " based on a strong philosophical belief, similar to a religious belief, that we are opposed to the PRACTICE of immunization."    We were told not to give as a reason that we fear the safety of these vaccines and were instead to emphasize our opposition to the practice of immunization!

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Thanks everyone!

misselphaba
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM

It should just be their most recent well-check visit.  You don't have to go have one especially done.  Doesn't your doctor give you paperwork after their well-checks?

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Quoting misselphaba:

It should just be their most recent well-check visit.  You don't have to go have one especially done.  Doesn't your doctor give you paperwork after their well-checks?

They haven't gone in about 3-4 yrs.... they just dont need to go though right now... they are fine and updated on shots also.  My oldest will need a couple shots but not til 7th grade it says.  She is in 6th and my middle daughter is in 4th.  The forms are supposed to be within 1 year.....

sweetserenit292
by Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I  had my son in preschool for a short while last year.  We were on an alternate vaccination schedule.  I simple filled out a religious exemption ( because we don't have the philosophical exemption here), had it notarized, and that was it.  

Xakana
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 7:05 PM

If you aren't firm on your vaccination beliefs, I recommend that you research them and come to a decision you feel that you can back (your post sounds like you just havne't got around to it). Some states have a philosophical objection form to get around this, but my state specificically states that "any deeply held set of beliefs" qualifies as a religious exemption (which is what I would use, as we do not believe in vaccinations, even though we are not religious, as it is illegal in my state to discriminate now--they tried in the 90s).

If you believe in vaccinations, I would suggest that you take them in. Don't claim a waiver if you plan to get the shots. Unless it's interfering with a delayed schedule, in which case, I'm not certain.

If they are up to date, you should be able to request a paper saying that they are from their doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN