Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ARe your family/friends supportive?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM
  • 35 Replies

Are they supportive of your homeschooling? 

If not, what do you say to them... and do you let it bother you that they aren't?

by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyHippie
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Not at first, but proof being how we're doing...and now they're hugely supportive (family) Friends? um...that depends but not really. They take it personally that I didn't put my son back in school this past year. Playing football for school starts 7th grade, which was last year...and when we kept homeschooling, they really got upset that we'd "hurt the team" like that.

I've explained that, no, the schoolboard hurt the team. THEY were the ones that said homeschoolers can't play public school sports, so blame them, not me!

It's come around over the past year....and it's usually not discussed much...which is fine, I'm good with that.

oredeb
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM

all very suportive!!! always have been

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:20 PM
I'm actually surprised. My friends are all supportive. My mom and dad are okay (dad more supportive than mom) but I can feel the judgement from the inlaw side. But hey, I've felt it for every parenting decision so far. So to me, it says I must be making the right decision! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM
I should mention, not all my friends. Just the "crunchy" ones and the older ones. I have a lot of older friends (50+) because I worked in a sewing shop for a couple years. Best ladies I've ever met.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:26 PM
My MIL is...my parents, not so much. Dad goes on about how I am too unorganized and lazy. Mom thinks they won't be able to go to college. Gee thanks mom and dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM

A few friends have said I am crazy (and sometimes I wonder if I am, lol) but everyone has pretty much been supportive. My dad was a little apprehensive at first. He lived with my aunt for awhile and she homeschools, moreso unschool it seems. He said she would have my cousin read a book and that was his school for the day, and he was worried I would be going in the same direction. (No offense to any unschoolers, I know most are not like that!) Now he is actually excited because he will be moving closer in a few months and he wants to help expand on what I teach when he can.

adrianas_mom_05
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:36 PM

My family and my in-laws have been extremely supportive to my surprise. My Father-in- law was a public school teacher so his reaction was very unexpected when we told him. He said he felt they would learn better with there not being as many distractions as there is in public school and we could teach them the way we see fit. So far I have not had anyone who has not been supportive of our decision to homeschool but if we did it wouldn't matter to us because it is our family and we make the decision on how to educate them and our children approve of our decision so thats what matters most.

fairybaby55
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:46 PM

It's good to know I'm not alone.  My side of the family is very supportive, because my mom homeschooled my younger brothers, and my brother and sis in law are homeschooling their kids right now.  BUT my grandma is not very supportive of it (but I dont see/talk to her that much cuz she lives out of state) and my inlaws are OK about it I guess but I kinda can feel that they think it's somewhat weird... especially my mother in law and my sister in law (she is a public school teacher).  It kinda bothers me even though they dont really SAY anything and hubby doesnt care what they think about it, but I just have a problem when people act that way about decisions we feel are best for our family ya know? 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM
No I wouldn't say anyone is supportive. Friends say "how can you do it?" Families don't really say anything, they know it wont do anything to change my mind. My mom once said this better be something you actually finish, but that was when we first started years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:29 AM

When my youngest daughter started homeschooling her children, I was very skeptical.  But I did not figure it my place to discourage what she felt was best for her family (I believe moms have natural instincts for their own children, and did not want to squash that).  So, instead, I became involved...attending training/ conventions, helping with lesson plans, field trips, co-op meetings, graduation ceremonies, ext. 

I soon became totally sold on homeschooling, and now give workshops at conventions, provide curriculum (much of it free).... The point is that many of those skeptics will come around, and for those who don't, Oh well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)