Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Your best organizing tip

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM
  • 11 Replies
What is your best homeschool organization tip?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamagirlz
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:27 AM

This year I bought 2 totes to put markers and crayons in.  We have sooo many that I had no where to put them.  I'm using trapper keepers since they were given to us last year new.  I'm putting folders in it and then putting their assignments for the day in each folder so they know what to do.  My laundry room is HUGE w/ tons of cabinet space.  I keep their reading books and art stuff in there.  We had way more last year but used a bunch up from last school year (meaning art stuff).  This year I will be taking them to the Library once a week for their art stuff.  That way they get out more and I don't have to go buy more art supply stuff.  We will be doing our school at the kitchen table and computer this year.  So all they have to do is pull out their trapper keeper and whatever else they will need for the day.  Last year it didn't seem as organized.  Everything had a place but it was just much messier.  So I'm hoping this way things will be contained better.

oredeb
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM

file cabinet!! and file folders!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM
Filing boxes and folders. Just cleaned out our craft cabinet, now I know what to get. Binders for work. Umm.. things will come to me as we get supplies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Similar to the first reply, I get the 50c pencil boxes at the back to school sales and store supplies in those. I label the end with a sharpie and put them on a bookshelf so it's easy to see what is in them. I have one for each types:  pencils, pens, markers, colored pencils, crayons, glue sticks, scissors, and erasers. They all keep a pencil/eraser in their desk but if they lose it or break something they know where tofind them.

I also have one labeled the "to go box" that we grab when we are going to do school on the road or go on a field trip. It has 6 pencils (2 per kid), 3 pens (one per),  a pencil sharpener,  aglue stick, erasers, a pair  of scissors, a small box colored pencils. a sharpie, and postit notes.

Other than that, each child has their own color coded crate for their books. We go overnight to my parent's house a lot and we are taking 2 weeks and going to Oregon so they just grab their crate and evertyhing is ready to go.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Stay on top of the mess. I do not wait until the end of the semester or year, lol, to organize. For me and my sanity, it works best to go through each of the boy's shelves and papers at the end of every week.

I have also learned the hard way that keeping up with grading,  not putting it off until the end of the month or whenever I feel like, it helps me to stay organized.

And I only keep the current materials on the shelves. All the stuff  I am saving for my younger son or things that I have on the back burner for later are not in plain view. My brain just seems to get overloaded with too much clutter. And at the end of the year, after I have made their portfolio and graded everything, I keep only the essentials, everything else gets sold or donated.

But, the biggest help with all of this is our "partner's" desk. It is the best purchase we ever made for homeschooling. It has 3 huches with doors and the open sided desk runs down the middle. # oe 4 people can work comfortably at the desk at one time. And it has a huge, deep drawer meant for hanging files, but we use it for art supplies and puzzles and things.

Maridel
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

ooo I love the color crate idea for when my younger one is schooling too!! Thanks!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Similar to the first reply, I get the 50c pencil boxes at the back to school sales and store supplies in those. I label the end with a sharpie and put them on a bookshelf so it's easy to see what is in them. I have one for each types:  pencils, pens, markers, colored pencils, crayons, glue sticks, scissors, and erasers. They all keep a pencil/eraser in their desk but if they lose it or break something they know where tofind them.

I also have one labeled the "to go box" that we grab when we are going to do school on the road or go on a field trip. It has 6 pencils (2 per kid), 3 pens (one per),  a pencil sharpener,  aglue stick, erasers, a pair  of scissors, a small box colored pencils. a sharpie, and postit notes.

Other than that, each child has their own color coded crate for their books. We go overnight to my parent's house a lot and we are taking 2 weeks and going to Oregon so they just grab their crate and evertyhing is ready to go.

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM
Shelves! I have a small bookcase for each child to keep his/her personal workbooks, textbooks, notebooking binders, supplies, etc. I have another bookshelf for all our reference books and read-a-loud books. My desk has shelves for all my teacher guides, tests, test keys etc. I also use a wooden shoe holder with all the little cubbyholes for art supplies. Each cubbyhole holds something different--box of markers, box of gluesticks, craft sticks, pipe cleaners, etc. Everything has a place, so no excuses for a disorganized space.
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM
I have found that plastic drawer totes work great!!! We dont have a school room or a lot of room period but these are great! We also have a huge bookshelf that helps a lot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Stay on top of the mess. I do not wait until the end of the semester or year, lol, to organize. For me and my sanity, it works best to go through each of the boy's shelves and papers at the end of every week.

I have also learned the hard way that keeping up with grading,  not putting it off until the end of the month or whenever I feel like, it helps me to stay organized.

And I only keep the current materials on the shelves. All the stuff  I am saving for my younger son or things that I have on the back burner for later are not in plain view. My brain just seems to get overloaded with too much clutter. And at the end of the year, after I have made their portfolio and graded everything, I keep only the essentials, everything else gets sold or donated.

But, the biggest help with all of this is our "partner's" desk. It is the best purchase we ever made for homeschooling. It has 3 huches with doors and the open sided desk runs down the middle. # oe 4 people can work comfortably at the desk at one time. And it has a huge, deep drawer meant for hanging files, but we use it for art supplies and puzzles and things.

What is this exactly? I have an interesting mental picture, lol.

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 7:13 AM

A desk that, instead of having to be pushed up against a wall, it comes out into the middle of the room. It is open underneath the desk part to allow someone to sit on either side as well as multiple people at once.

We found it at a Stars Outlet furniture store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN