Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much do you spend?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm wondering how much some of you end up spending this time of year. I know some of you purchase curric and other's build your own, then there's all the back to school shopping for supplies, etc. How much would you say you spend in each one of these areas?

by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
misselphaba
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:47 AM

I just spent $126 on 24 "Getting to the Know the World's Greatest Artists/Composers/Scientists & Inventors" from Amazon. 

That's about it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2011 at 7:05 AM
I should add it up. It's our first year so we had expenses (by choice) that we won't have each year. Like a new desk for me, white board, some homeschool books, organization stuff, etc.

For our actual curriculum/books and supplies it's not too bad though. I'll have to make myself look. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SCmomof3girls
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:08 AM

I think we spent about $550 on 2 full year curriculiums, 1 set of extra workbooks and 1 full extra subject, and then maybe about $20 on supplies so far. We plan on getting a whiteboard or something soon, thats another $25-30.

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

It will probably be around $600 - $700.  I do buy books that I could get at the library as we need them, but I looove books!  I prefer to purchase them and have them on hand.  (I use Amazon and CBD and Rainbow Resource, so I do get good deals!)  This includes all the books I need to teach two children grades 4 & 8, so I don't think it's too bad.  It would be a lot more expensive if I went strictly curriculum such as A Beka or Sonlight or Bob Jones or ??  And it's much less stressful for me than attempting to gather or create everything I need using different websites, etc.  I don't do stress well-LOL!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:17 AM

A ton. Between books, payments on classes (he's taking Integrated Physics/Chemistry this year, Spanish, Drums, Debate and WordMasters outside the home) and the Texas Tech classes (Art and English) and then just the books for HERE... it's several hundred...

And that doesn't include baseball and gas! Which are our two most expensive things for him right now! LOL!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Between ebay, rainbow resources and where we the supplies, we will spend about $300 for 5th grade. Of course I get too much and over think things, but it's better than the $700+ it would have been if we bought the curriculum again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Can I also add that I've sent waaaaaaay less than I did when she went to public school? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM
*spent
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM

ive used the same stuff ive had for years so it would only cost me on paper, pencils, crayons markers erasers field trip costs, paint oh yes and ink! so about 150 a year

i mostly trade for what we need in books or use the librarys

cedailey
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Let's see- $20 for a science book, $17 for a history book, $50 for printer ink and $20 for art supplies. For a whole year it's usually about $150 for two kids.  But this year I am considering an immersion program from the German Texas Heritage Society $400 for 3 kids at 2 hours a week for each semester.  So that would make my total closer to $1000 for the year, but would also include my preschooler.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)