Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why is it a mistake to make your school similar to a school?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM
  • 19 Replies
I always hear how awful it is to make your homeschool similar to an outside school. While I don't plan on making mine "like a school" I do plan to have a room for all of the education materials, and desks for us to work at mainly for comfort. I have a horrible back and working from kitchen chairs or the couch is hard for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2.5boys
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I think the main reason people say that is because one of the best aspects of home-schooling is having the freedom to school the way that works best for you and your kids, and typically it is not the way they do it in school. However, if that is what works best for your family, then do it. 

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I don't think the set-up is what is important.  It's providing your child an environment conducive to his/her learning.  If your children are learning well in a "classroom" set-up, that's perfectly fine.  We also have a room in which my kiddos each have their own desks and so do I.  We do Bible and Read-A-Louds in the living room just to be comfortable and closer, but my children do most of their written work at their desks simply to avoid distractions and promote concentration.  That's what they need. 

I think what sets us apart (among many other things) from the public/private schools is our ability to teach our chidren according to their learning style.  They do not have to "conform" to the "norm."  The school teacher has to teach the 20-30 children at one time and can only do it one way.  Those 20-30 children have many different learning styles that are not being catered to.  Boys are expected to learn like girls.  Active children are expected to learn like the calmer children.  Get my point?

Set-up isn't important as long as everyone is comfortable and your children are learning to the best of their ability.  The way we teach our children is what is important.  We have the opportunity to teach our children in the way they learn best as individuals. 

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

FlyHippie
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:14 AM

We actually do a lot that is similar to "school" because my son, who is 13, plays sports and is friends with his same group of friends he's had for years and they're in p.s.  So when they told me about dissecting owl vomit in school, we ordered it and did it, too. (as an example) We did our own thing, but also mimicked some of what they did. This way when all the kids were together, mine wasn't left out in conversation.

I don't think it's bad at all. I think the beauty of homeschooling is that we can do what's right for us and our kids. And one isn't always the same as the other....

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Okay i am glad to hear these responses. There just seems to be so much judgement. I've noticed most judgment comes in the subtle way but is judgement or "my way is better" all the same, kwim? It'd not only the school room debate, but the homeschooling, vs unschooling as well as curriculum or no curriculum and year round vs structured year. I'm sure most people see every day as a learning experience, but our structured schooling where people use math books, etc may be during certain months and the rest is daily living learning.
Idk. I guess it just bugs me when I see people say these things, when we, as moms are just trying to do what is best for our kids, our families, ourselves. Isn't it just good that we have made the choice to try to help our children thrive?
Wow, sorry about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM
Most the time when you hear that, the ones saying it are either really new to homeschooling and have not done the trial and error of what works best. OR they are the ones who take their kids out of school and feel strongly about not wanting to recreate school at home.

I have a bit of a school at home feel in our dinning room, but we school all over, inside and out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM

gee if thats what you want to do dont let anyone stop you!! thats why we homeschoool to teach the way we want!! freedom!!!yea!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Freedom!!! Woooohooooo! Hehee
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2queenie2004
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I do what works for us. For Grammar and Math, school setting seems to work best for us.... Science and History we are little more creative and out of the box with. That is what works for us.... So do what works for you. We tried the school at home, school room thing. It was school storage and we wound up in the living room and kitchen... but to each his own.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I agree. When we move I want a designated homeschool room to house my "stuff" It's over taking our dining room 

sweetserenit292
by Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM

For me....I am setting up an area in our house.  Primarily because my kiddos are preschool age and are easily distracted by the television and dogs.   For me, I wanted someplace to do calendar activities and stories.  We still we do things throughout the house and outside when the weather is permitting.  But, I figured 30 min without interruptions would be good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN