Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why is it a mistake to make your school similar to a school?

Posted by   + Show Post
I always hear how awful it is to make your homeschool similar to an outside school. While I don't plan on making mine "like a school" I do plan to have a room for all of the education materials, and desks for us to work at mainly for comfort. I have a horrible back and working from kitchen chairs or the couch is hard for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Replies (11-19):
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I think you are just going to get that ~ whether the person means it or not.  I mean, *obviously* people are going to feel that their way is better (and it is, better for them), because that's the way they've chosen to do it. 

But people can't always say how *they* do things and have it be a wide open view.  You know?  We unschool ~ there's no real way to say that we don't do structured learning without just saying we don't do structured learning.  Does it make your way wrong?  No, but I'm not going to say "we don't do structured learning, although there's nothing wrong with doing structured learning" all the time.  It makes it annoying. 

Sometimes, I think people take differing views as judgement for some reason.  You know?  When I read posts about people who do structured learning, I could take it as a judgement against unstructured learning, but I don't, I take it as 'they don't school the way we do, it's not something against me just because they do it a different way'. 

Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Quoting Boobah:

Okay i am glad to hear these responses. There just seems to be so much judgement. I've noticed most judgment comes in the subtle way but is judgement or "my way is better" all the same, kwim? It'd not only the school room debate, but the homeschooling, vs unschooling as well as curriculum or no curriculum and year round vs structured year. I'm sure most people see every day as a learning experience, but our structured schooling where people use math books, etc may be during certain months and the rest is daily living learning.
Idk. I guess it just bugs me when I see people say these things, when we, as moms are just trying to do what is best for our kids, our families, ourselves. Isn't it just good that we have made the choice to try to help our children thrive?
Wow, sorry about that.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Its homeschool.. Your home! Who cares what everyone else does or think! ;-)

We have an extra room in our home that isnt used - its a "game room"... So ive turned 1/2 of it into a school room type deal We put her train table as a divive between the two spaces, and she has a play area with all her toys & then Ive put up a dry erase board --WOW-should have got chalkboard. forgot smell! :( -- Put up an area for calender time & a "school like" word wall. I plan on using posters that to decorate that fit with what we are learning as well.. and I am going to make a train number line on my cricut..

DD likes "going to school" right now.. But we also enjoy reading anywhere, we paint in the kitchen & will do science projects there as well. Nice weather days I plan on taking our books to the park. :-)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 30, 2011 at 2:55 PM
I totally do :) sometimes it's just the way, or bluntness when it is said. Does that make sense. Some people really don't mean anything by it, but I know some do. You can just tell. Lol

Quoting misselphaba:

I think you are just going to get that ~ whether the person means it or not.  I mean, *obviously* people are going to feel that their way is better (and it is, better for them), because that's the way they've chosen to do it. 

But people can't always say how *they* do things and have it be a wide open view.  You know?  We unschool ~ there's no real way to say that we don't do structured learning without just saying we don't do structured learning.  Does it make your way wrong?  No, but I'm not going to say "we don't do structured learning, although there's nothing wrong with doing structured learning" all the time.  It makes it annoying. 

Sometimes, I think people take differing views as judgement for some reason.  You know?  When I read posts about people who do structured learning, I could take it as a judgement against unstructured learning, but I don't, I take it as 'they don't school the way we do, it's not something against me just because they do it a different way'. 

Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Quoting Boobah:

Okay i am glad to hear these responses. There just seems to be so much judgement. I've noticed most judgment comes in the subtle way but is judgement or "my way is better" all the same, kwim? It'd not only the school room debate, but the homeschooling, vs unschooling as well as curriculum or no curriculum and year round vs structured year. I'm sure most people see every day as a learning experience, but our structured schooling where people use math books, etc may be during certain months and the rest is daily living learning.

Idk. I guess it just bugs me when I see people say these things, when we, as moms are just trying to do what is best for our kids, our families, ourselves. Isn't it just good that we have made the choice to try to help our children thrive?

Wow, sorry about that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maridel
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 3:50 PM

I know exactly what you mean. I'm more structured and I need that structure in order to thrive throughout the year. Sometimes I get the whole "she's only starting Kindergarten" comments like I'm trying too hard, but I'm having fun planning and so is she! Do what works best for you, with parenting, there's always a debate about how to do it right. You see it here on cafemom a lot (breastfeeding vs bottle, working vs stay at home, spanking vs. not and so on and so on!) But there is no one way is right and the other is wrong. Everyone lifestyle is different. Enjoy homeschooling and forget everyone else! lol

Quoting Boobah:

Wow, sorry about that.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Another good point (I think someone made on this thread) is that a lot of people *aren't* in their first year and have done a LOT of trial and error to find out what works best for them.  So, it might seem like they are "know-it-alls" or whatever you want to say, but in reality, it's just that they've been doing it for years already.  So maybe it can come off as judgey, when what it really is is just that they've "been there done that, didn't work, changed it up..."

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 30, 2011 at 8:17 PM
That is a good point miss e. I find myself thinking that way in a sewing group I am in, so I can relate to that.

I really hope I didn't come off wrong, like I was accusing anyone. Just something I had been thinking about and thought maybe it might help everyone be a little more sensitive to each other.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 8:25 PM
No, I just have a blunt way of speaking. My hubby sometimes has to read my emails before I send them to people I don't want to offend. Hehe. *hides*

Quoting Boobah:

That is a good point miss e. I find myself thinking that way in a sewing group I am in, so I can relate to that.

I really hope I didn't come off wrong, like I was accusing anyone. Just something I had been thinking about and thought maybe it might help everyone be a little more sensitive to each other.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM
I get what you are saying. I know I might come off as blunt, but a lot of times, for me at least, it's because I have about 8 seconds to post, so I write what I think quickly. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I don't think the 'classroom' is the issue. I think the issue is the major flaws in our public school system. Like teaching to the test. Teaching everything on a spiral. Forcing kids to learn about this or that right now because it's what a 3rd grader or 1st grader or 6th grader is 'supposed' to learn, despite what they are suppose to learn about.

We're doing '6th grade' scoial studies this year. And we do some SERIOUSLY in depth science here with my 2nd grader. (by his choice)

When we started homeschooling last year I looked up what our state standards were for 1st grade science. No joke, everything on that list were things my son knew when he was THREE!

These are the things *I* think about when I hear 'don't make your homeschool like PS'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)