Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group and new to home school. Need encouragement!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM
  • 14 Replies

This will be our first year home schooling our children ages 8 and 6.  I was very excited about this and feeling confident until the last few days.  I've been doing a bit of a trial run during the summer doing some summer workbooks, and finding it difficult. My 8 year old is going into the third grade and I"m having a hard time getting any work from him.  He's a very smart boy, but full of excuses.  How do you get your little one  motivated to do the school work.  It's a lot easier for him to make excuses with mommy than it was for a teacher in the classroom.  I'm nervous that I may have bit off more than I can chew with him.  Need some encouragement!  :)

by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:03 AM

One, if they were in public school, deschool.  Take a step away from school to find out how they learn.  Workbooks are a good way to track what they do, but do they enjoy crafts or being read to?  Math use items to show concepts and cooking is a good way. 

Two, take no excuses.  You are the mom and if they don't work to get out of chores then shouldn't work to get out of schooling.  My daughter knows that she will lose computer time or television time if she doesn't do what she needs to do.  Her job is to learn.  It's a harsh punishment, but sometimes it's the only thing that works.

Three, enjoy them being kids.  Take them out and look at the world and follow what they want to learn.  If your state has certain standards to follow, work it in as you have fun.

Most importantly if you don't get to everything, there is always another day to work on it.  And you have taken a huge step in wanting to homeschool, now just have to figure out what works best for you and your family.

Sorry I'm rather blunt and thinking as I type with a 10 mo running around.  Silly man doesn't want to sleep tonight.

JoyfulMommyof2
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Oh, hon, you'll do just fine--great, actually!  You've made your decision; now don't look back.  Homeschooling is one of the best decisions you have ever made or will ever make.  It may take a little bit of time to figure out your son's learning style, which curriculum is best for him, what environment is best (kitchen table or desk in a corner?), etc.  That's okay.  Time is on your side.  I've mentioned this in a previous post, but remember that a capable 18-year-old who has never been schooled can learn everything other children have learned in just one year!  (Don't remember where I got that gem of information, but I know it's from a reliable source.)  Don't let yourself feel overwhelmed or stressed.  I've been homeschooling for over 10 years (13 year old daughter and 9 1/2 year old son), and I remember the early years of feeling like you're feeling.  If I could know what I know now!  I could save myself so much stress and headaches.  I would just go back and ENJOY the process knowing that no matter how I homeschool, they will learn!  As long as your heart is in it, you can't "mess up."

He's a child, and he's going to test his boundaries.  Use what works best when you discipline him in any area of life (manners, chores, etc.).  Remember to present school time to him as something fun and exciting.  Keep your attitude bright and happy and encouraging.  Add hands-on, fun things to your school day.  Let your attitude be that "homeschooling is our lifestyle.  Learning is not an option." Our children looove having our attention.  Do reading side-by-side on the couch.  Sit with him and work some problems together "for fun."  Challenge him, and then praise him when he completes the challenge! 

Remember, we're all here for you.  Homeschooling is our way of life, and we want to encourage and help each other!  Please post any specific questions or thoughts you may have, and you'll find that someone or several someones will understand and give you the advice or encouragement you need.  Reap what you can, and if something said doesn't agree with your heart just move on to the next comment.  Sometimes what works for one doesn't for another.

I promise that your confidence will build up as you continue.  Just take a deep breath and just do it!  You are a mother, so that automatically makes you a teacher!  Do your best, and don't stress!  Enjoy your children and enjoy learning and exploring life together.  That's what it's all about.  You have a wonderful opportunity to develop amazing relationships with your children and to help them develop amazing character traits in themselves while you develop their minds.  Wow!  We are so blessed!!

JoyfulMommyof2

busy mom

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Quoting 2turtles:

This will be our first year home schooling our children ages 8 and 6.  I was very excited about this and feeling confident until the last few days.  I've been doing a bit of a trial run during the summer doing some summer workbooks, and finding it difficult. My 8 year old is going into the third grade and I"m having a hard time getting any work from him.  He's a very smart boy, but full of excuses.  How do you get your little one  motivated to do the school work.  It's a lot easier for him to make excuses with mommy than it was for a teacher in the classroom.  I'm nervous that I may have bit off more than I can chew with him.  Need some encouragement!  :)

Silverkitty mentioned deschooling which is very good advice.  Here is an article that explains "Unschooling" which is often used with children who have come from the public school enviornment, and seem to have lost their  natural desire to learn.

Also understanding different learning styles is very helpful.  The "hands on learner" is the most misunderstood of all the personalities, and workbooks are a disaster for them.

2turtles
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Thank you ladies! I think I came to the right place for advice!  :)  I know I can do this!!!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:58 AM

They are still young. Maybe start with activities rather than actual school work. Take a few weeks to observe how they play and learn and than use that to determine your approach.

For my 4 1/2 yr old I have determined that he does much better with routine and warning in advance. He is also into playing games, so I will be using games a lot to teach him. He also loves cars and playing games on the cumputer. I have found a trick to get him to read with me (several) that help motivate him to do that because its usually hard to get him to sit and read. You can do it...it is an adjustment for everyone, but just take it day by day and don't stress if you have to take a break, or a day didn't go as planned. Thats the beauty about homeschool, its your oace, your style and you can always change that when necesssary according to your chiuldren's needs :)

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:59 AM

a;sp try the book "discovering your child's learning stye" great book :)

DrJChappell
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Have you decompressed yet? I read this week that, in order to get them used to being at home and not fighting homeschool, you've got to let them decompress. Some say a month for every year they were in school. Just have them do the minimum for your state guidelines and not start structured schooling until after that period.

DrJChappell
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I think "unschooling" and "deschooling" are different things. Unschooling is a way of having children learn by following their interests, instead of using curriculum. Is that right?

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Deschool is pretty much how you explained decompress. Unschooling is usually child lead learning, not always using a curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 6:22 PM

As usual... wonderful advice from the ladies here!!!    I made the mistake of not taking the time to deschool and it made things hard... we wound up doing it later... lol  My kids still give me a hard time here and there but they know the school is only a few minute walk... the very mention of going back to school usually gets things done.  My 7yr old has never been in public school but has heard his brothers talk  and that's enough, he has no interest!  There will be days when you think "OMG what was I thinking"  THIS I NORMAL and when those days come... just take a step away... do something out of the house, just enjoy your kids company :)  <hugs>  Welcome to homeschooling and to this awesome message board! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)