Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group and new to home school. Need encouragement!

Posted by   + Show Post

This will be our first year home schooling our children ages 8 and 6.  I was very excited about this and feeling confident until the last few days.  I've been doing a bit of a trial run during the summer doing some summer workbooks, and finding it difficult. My 8 year old is going into the third grade and I"m having a hard time getting any work from him.  He's a very smart boy, but full of excuses.  How do you get your little one  motivated to do the school work.  It's a lot easier for him to make excuses with mommy than it was for a teacher in the classroom.  I'm nervous that I may have bit off more than I can chew with him.  Need some encouragement!  :)

by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM
Replies (11-14):
SimplySonita
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Yes unschooling and deschooling are different things, but.... basically to deschool, you unschool fora while.

Try leting them have a vacation. Then find out what THEY want to learn.

Take them to the library and let them browse and pick their own books. Then see what they pick. Then see if you can find other boooks on the same subject to sugest to them.

Ask them to list a few things they would like to learn about.

Don't think you have to follow the same scope and sequence as PS. You homeschool now girl! Your kids can march to their own drum! LOL

Also, don't let your child as young as 6 or 8 set the rules. You wouldn't take his excuses tonot bathe for a month or to play in a busy street would you? Then if you deem doing a worksheet important, then don't take no for an answer.

Youhave to find what works for you!

My oldest went to PS for 2 years, then can home. Last year if I asked him to read or write anything it was like pulling teeth. This year, I have to BEG for a day off from worksheets and typical 'school' activities! LOL

I follow his lead. Last year we ended up being total unschoolers. I still consider us unschoolers. He is the one choosing more school like activites this year.

Did he do typical 'school' last year? No. Did he learn anything?

TONS! Way moret han he learned in 2 years of PS!

Don't stress. Your kids will learn. Despite the fact that they don't want to dow orksheets :)

timon95
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:19 AM

well, the good thing is that you are trying schooling on them during the summer. gives you both time to "learn" ways that work for the both of you for schooling. you have all year to figure out a learning style that works for you guys. My kids try excuses sometimes when they don't feel like doing school because they want to play or something. First off, when we start school I am no longer mommy, I am their teacher. We are here to learn now, we can have fun while learning, but it is time for school. My kids have free mornings, we school after lunch. the free morning gives them time to get rid of all of their energy they stored up while sleeping. When they start with the excuses I let them know how it would be if they were in school school, not home school. they wouln't have a free morning, they would be there all day, they would have homework....we are finished our day in no time. they have their days when they don't want to do school and then there are the days when they can't wait.  they also know that if we don't finish our day they have more work to do the next day. they don't really like that.

just hang in there, you'll do good. we all struggle sometimes. just start off slow. maybe set some rules for when it time for school.

2turtles
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Thanks ladies. Wonderful advice.  I think we're  most likely dealing with more anxiety over certain subjects rather than behavioral.  He was in a very high achieving school, and felt a lot of pressure to preform well by his peers, as all of his friends seemed to be advanced in many areas.  I think decompressing is just what is needed here.  He loves reading and writing and is advanced in both.  Now we have to show him that math can be fun too!  :) 

LindaClement
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:13 AM

Let it go.

For a number of reasons.

1. You can't stuff things into his head that he does not want there. Other people may like to believe it is possible, but it is not. Everything done to children in the name of stuffing things into their heads that they do not want there is abuse, infuriating and deeply, deeply disrespectful of their innate humanity.

2. You have DECADES. Relax. There is so much more time than you realize.

3. No one gets into Harvard on the strength of their grade 4 marks. Even if he doesn't read until he's 12, NO ONE will be able to tell when he's 16. (Can you tell now which of his friends potty trained at 18mo and which potty trained at 6?)

4. The 'curriculum' (as if there were 'one' of those) is strictly and entirely for only managing very large numbers of mobile children (the ones who move from town to town), and it has nothing at all to do with you or your son (or what any child on the planet actually has any reason to learn in the 18 years or so that it takes to do so)...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)