Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help please!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm starting my son in home school, preschool. How long should he work and what kind of curriculumis good for a small child I know were all different I just need a few ideas and pointers I'm not new to home school. Just new to teaching!
by on Jul. 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianas_mom_05
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:01 AM

I just started homeschooling and I am also teaching my 4 yr old son who is doing preschool material. I did not spend much money on his curriculum I just went to Wal-mart and bought the preschool books from there. He is learning basic stuff like identifing his ABC's, numbers, address, phone number, birthdate, colors, months of the year, days of the week...etc. I usually do about 30 mins-1hr per day with him because any more than that he loses interest. I also work with him through the day with just memorization and repetition.

saadamarie
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 2:07 AM
Thank you I got a reading program for him today to supplement vooksim looking foward to that. But I just knew the schooling part couldn't last long! Thank you so much!
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 7:36 AM

I would suggest a lot of hands on fun things!  Playdough, coloring, cooking, etc.   Also playgroups... go places!  They learn so much just by getting out and about!   If you are wanting to do a workbook, I would do just like the previous poster said and go with a cheap workbook from walmart, books a million, or somewhere like that :)  Welcome to homeschooling and our board!  Have fun!!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Studies show young children learn best while at real life experiences and play because that is the most natural way for them to learn. 

1.  While going for walks, sing the ABC Song

2.  Draw the alphabet in the sand

3.  Coloring helps prepare them for writing because it teaches them hand dexterity

4.  Here is a fun and easy to teach sequencing while traveling or going for walks.

5.  Have them help you cook as you teach them measurements.

DrJChappell
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Preschool is really too young for formal teaching - just let him play! Get him some letter magnets and let him put them on the fridge. Educational toys, drawing, coloring, cutting paper, read to him a lot, lots of pretend play, take him to the playground, make sure he gets physical activity, take him out places and talk to him about what you see and what he sees, that sort of thing.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM

No reason to purchase any special curriculum at this age. Here are some of my favorites for that age:

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/

http://www.squidoo.com/toddler-workbox

"Tot school is nothing more than intentionally providing your tot with age appropriate activities that are fun and engaging. By choosing specific toys and activities, we expose our tots to a variety of early learning skills. Mastery is not the goal FUN is!" ~ Carisa from www.1+1+1=1

wright1212
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Here are some great things I often tell preschool teachers about, same things would be great for you too.

At that age think of development instead of subjects: physical (large motor and fine), intellectual (teach him how to problem solve), social, emotional, and language (both listening and talking). Think of areas of a preschool, go from there to see what they learn: blocks (problem solving and motor), art (social and intellect), drama center, music center, science center, writing center, reading/cozy area,

http://www.tn.gov/ then search TN-ELDS

Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale

Mommy to Corbin (8-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (1.5), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

SimplySonita
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM

For preschool I agree with PP hands on fun-learning through play!

Only do more 'schooly' things at his request.

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

preschool! have fun!!! make learning fun!

saadamarie
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM
Thanks guys very helpful!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN