Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The next step in writing

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM
  • 4 Replies

My DD is almost 3 1/2. She loves tracing her letters and numbers, but when I try to get her to write them on her own she won't even try. How can I transition her from tracing to writing?

by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Earthy_Mom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM

You can start with her name. My son didn't want to write without tracing until I brought up writing his name on cards or signing his drawings. Just an idea, hope some others have some advice too! Good luck!

borgen0128
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I am firm believer that when I child is ready they will do something. Let her be the guide. If she feels pushed to write she may give up on trying to write for a very long time. Writing is very physically strenous excercise. Her hands may not be ready. You could purchase a moveable alphabet from a montessori shop, which would allow her to write without the physical part that comes from putting pen to paper. Sandpaper letters will also give her more practice. 

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I would say don't try and transition her.  There is a good, valid reason why she's just tracing right now.  Let her keep tracing and she'll write on her own when she's ready.  You may not know what the reason is, but it's a good one, anyway!  I've noticed if you try and push them towards something they aren't ready for, it seems that they backslide. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:57 PM
Let her "write" with other things, other places. Finger paints, pudding, chalk, are more fun then pencil and paper, for some kids. I didn't have my daughter actually writing or tracing until she was 5 in kindergarten, before I just let her scribble and get familiar with pencils and paper, if she wanted to trace of course I let her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)