Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

question about addition facts

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM
  • 11 Replies

When your little ones learned addition, did you teach the facts first, or teach them how to add?

She is doing well with addition, and knows some by heart, but she doesn't have them all memorized.  I don't even know if I should be working on memorizing??  LOL  We'll be doing Saxon math 1 in a couple weeks, doing the reviews until we find a place that is new or needs review.  I'm sure it will help me along, but of course, being a new HSer, I have to worry about everything.  ;)  jk

What way did your kids learn addition and subtraction?  Any tips?

by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:25 PM

we did sums to 10 first then 20 etc. we taught the facts at the same time as the actual problems. we make journals for subjects so her vocab words were sub, adding, equals, etc we talking about them, showed the problem n practices the problems. we played games at worksheets etc.

SCmomof3girls
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM

My personal opinion is to not teach memorization. It's not really teaching them to add, but just to recongnize that when they see 1+2 it's 3. Kind of like reading the same book to a child over and over and over and then them "reading" it back, but they are not really reading it, just remembering what was said (and not recognizing the same words in other books). Does that make sense?  We started by using physical objects like pennies or cheerios and adding that way until they could add it in their head.

mynameismuerte
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:44 PM

We're using Singapore Math which actually teaches the memorization of number bonds before even learning addition or subtraction. We have been working on number bonds and addition at the same time and DS has most of them memorized.  

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

i use manipulatives and taught them how to count first, then to add the manipulatives and subtract

heres a good article for teaching young children math

http://homemade-school.blogspot.com/

SimplySonita
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM

This exactly!

Quoting SCmomof3girls:

My personal opinion is to not teach memorization. It's not really teaching them to add, but just to recongnize that when they see 1+2 it's 3. Kind of like reading the same book to a child over and over and over and then them "reading" it back, but they are not really reading it, just remembering what was said (and not recognizing the same words in other books). Does that make sense?  We started by using physical objects like pennies or cheerios and adding that way until they could add it in their head.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM

for the beginning years, I recommend Math U See because it teaches the concept math (how and why) .  How to think is more valuable than simply what to think, right? . After they understand concepts, Bill Gates has a website that is full of free videos at all levels.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM
It's mixed reviews! Hehee
I know classical stressed memorization but I don't believe cm does. I'll need to look back over my books and see what is recommended, but I'm kind of torn. On one hand I think some memorization is good because I don't want her to have to think about and add 4+8, so knowing it is 12 would be good in that sense. But like some of you said, it's more important that she knows WHY 4+8 =12. Kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mynameismuerte
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM

I think in the end, BOTH things will happen.  They will understand what 4+8 means and they'll end up memorizing the facts. 

LindaClement
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM

We lived our lives, using numbers organically --sometimes needing to figure out what algebra was for (how can you tell the amount a barrel holds when they're all different sizes?), or discussing physics and rollercoasters and how designers figure out stresses are happening on individual sections of tracks (differential calculus) --sometimes just working out faster ways to figure tips or tax or how much a paycheque will be.

The most fun we had with workbooks and textbooks was finding the mistakes in the answer keys.

TroyboysMom
by on Aug. 2, 2011 at 2:54 AM

First I used manipulatives to teach addition, and when he had mastered it, worked on memorizing the facts for quick recall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN